Blacks and Health: The Natural Way to Heal #13

Turmeric

I come from the land of curry. Curry chicken, curry goat, roti…you name it, islanders love curry. This  plant is actually a member of the ginger family and has such intense anti-inflammatory properties, it rivals cayenne pepper!

The active ingredient in this life-saving plant is “curcumin” and it gives off a slightly mustard-y smell. Did you know that North Africans used this spice to dye clothing? The brightly coloured gowns they wore were tinted with this plant.

I remember growing up with the delicious scent of curry wafting through our house as my mom prepared dish after dish of curry-laden meals. Not only is turmeric an excellent additive to boost the flavour of foods, but its medicinal properties are stellar.

Turmeric:

Fights cancer, like garlic

Fights infections, like peppermint (don’t get me started on peppermint)

Kills acne-causing bacteria, like Tea Tree Oil

Helps with digestion, like ginger

Lowers bad cholesterol, like garlic and vinegar

Helps with joint pain, like cayenne pepper

Every black household should have turmeric stashed away for medical emergencies. Please use the power of Mother Nature to heal yourselves and reverse disease. When, not if, but when the pharmacies close their doors, you’ll need alternative medicines to survive.
Next article: Oregano

24 thoughts on “Blacks and Health: The Natural Way to Heal #13

1. Ah. I will be making masala potatoes and longbeans tomorrow. I use rice instead of roti plates.
    (Shh. On peppermint. Still did not find the seeds to stash away, but did buy a plant. Peppermint + fennel makes a nice tea. As I still lack the time to take care of the plant it is already turning into dried mint. Shh.)

2. Pingback: Kemetix | Blacks and Health: The Natural Way to Heal #13

3. We should use the natural way since the White AmeriKKKlan’s medicine and technology does worse for us Black people than it does better.

4. Matari on said:

Re: Turmeric

I need to delve further into this.

Thanks for adding to my knowledge base, Truth. I’m looking forward to *your* take on the fabulous/wondrous benefits of Oil of Oregano!!

Don’t really know much about this spice. Thanks for the information.

6. kowaba on said:

Thanks for the info. I really enjoy your herbal remedy posts. Just wanted to share with everyone that if you use peppermint oil (which DOAN mentioned that it helps improve circulation) massage it on a bruise three times a day it will help improve circulation and help the healing of the bruise.

Back when I was in college, I was playing broom ball and got hit in the hand with a stick, my hand swelled up and a knot formed on my hand. I went to the Western Doctor and was told that it would heal with time maybe in some months time. I then went to a masseus and they told me to massage three times a day and apply the peppermint oil ointment/cream. That knot on my hand went down within three days of me massaging it.

7. mstoogood4yall on said:

Truth

I told this brotha he should contact u if he wants his book introduced on your blog. here’s his website http://www.wordod.com/advice/

8. Pete

Ohhhh…let us know how that turns out.

9. Adeen

yes ma’am very very true.

10. Kowaba

I’m mad about peppermint. it truly is a cure all. you cannot go wrong with this herb.

11. Miss toogood

thank you I hope he does. I cannot stress enough that we must support black businesses.

12. Look in history at how many times White AmeriKKKlan used technology and weapons to try kill us off.

Sad to say but I don’t know any natural medicines yet. I would love to grow my own fruits instead of the chemically treated fruits in the grocery store.

13. Adeen

When you have the chance, please type in my search box below “blacks and health.” You’ll find every herb post I’ve done.

14. I’m the only person I know (in RL) that likes curry dishes (and I like mine painfully hot). I live in a 93% white area though so the range you can find here tastes like watered down garbage. There’s only one restaurant in town that serves it halfway decently in any of their dishes and its Chinese owned (go figure again).

Have to do everything ourselves…. and I’m not sure whether to cheer or cry about that right now lol.

15. honeytreebee on said:

Very whatever you do don’t ever take it to work cause they’ll be up in the kitchen eating it like gremlins. That is what happened to me. Always trying to put their whatever in you food processing it up all together.

16. honeytreebee on said:

I love making tea with it. I also use it to make coconut fritters. I also make a sweet almond, cardamom, coconut based ice cream using turmeric. It is yummy and such a stately color too.

17. wordshavmire on said:

You know I always assumed Curry was a Indian ingredient (“Indian” Indians, not native americans) This was actually very educational and I’ll be looking up a few recipes and ways to add this to some dishes. Can you add it to shakes? Can you add it to a fasting drink?

18. Negress,

Found this recipe on the internet. I tried it a few times (without the Add-ons) and it’s delicious!

Tropical Turmeric Smoothie Recipe

The Ingredients

1 cup almond or coconut milk
    1/2 cup frozen mango chunks
    1 fresh or frozen banana
    1 tablespoon coconut oil
    1/2 teaspoon turmeric
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ginger
    A dash of sea salt
    A little honey, maple syrup, or stevia to sweeten (optional)

The Add-ons

1-2 tablespoons chia seeds
    1/2 cup fresh or frozen pineapple chunks
    1/3 cup coconut shreds/flakes
    1 tablespoon maca

Show time

Simply place all of the ingredients into your blender and blend away for around 30-45 seconds or until your desired consistency is achieved.

19. @Wordshavmire,

I add mine to Yogurt. I also add it to Orange juice, so you can definitely add turmeric to shakes and fasting drinks…You can add it to just about anything and everything.

20. @ Words

Yes. one teaspoon goes a long way to get the heart pumping. Much like Cayenne Pepper, all you need is just a bit.

If drinking it is too much, try sprinkling it over food dishes, like chicken, potatoes and yams, and seafood. Yum!

21. ynotme

Thank you!

We love your recipes.

22. You’re welcome!

23. wordshavmire on said:

I’m just catching this advice! Thanx! Yogurt is probably my favorite protein source. I’ll check that out

24. wordshavmire on said:

I use a lot of cayenne in my lemonade fast so it shouldn’t be a problem. And if it can help with my heart maybe it can curb my Cholesterol issues (^;