White Poison in the Black Diet

In 1957, Dr. William Coda Martin tried to answer the question:

When is a food a food and when is it a poison?

His working definition of “poison” was: “Medically: Any substance applied to the body, ingested or developed within the body, which causes or may cause disease. Physically: Any substance which inhibits the activity of a catalyst which is a minor substance, chemical or enzyme that activates a reaction.” The dictionary gives an even broader definition for “poison”: “to exert a harmful influence on, or to pervert”.

Refined Sugar

Dr. Martin classified refined sugar as a poison because it has been depleted of its life forces, vitamins and minerals. “What is left consists of pure, refined carbohydrates. The body cannot utilize this refined starch and carbohydrate unless the depleted proteins, vitamins and minerals are present.

Refined sugar is lethal when ingested by humans because it provides only that which nutritionists describe as “empty” or “naked” calories. It lacks the natural minerals which are present in the sugar beet or cane.

In addition, sugar is worse than nothing because it drains and leaches the body of precious vitamins and minerals through the demand its digestion, detoxification and elimination makes upon one’s entire system. So essential is balance to our bodies that we have many ways to provide against the sudden shock of a heavy intake of sugar.

Sugar taken every day produces a continuously over-acid condition, and more and more minerals are required from deep in the body in the attempt to rectify the imbalance. Finally, in order to protect the blood, so much calcium is taken from the bones and teeth that decay and general weakening begin. Excess sugar eventually affects every organ in the body. Initially, it is stored in the liver in the form of glucose (glycogen). Since the liver’s capacity is limited, a daily intake of refined sugar (above the required amount of natural sugar) soon makes the liver expand like a balloon. When the liver is filled to its maximum capacity, the excess glycogen is returned to the blood in the form of fatty acids. These are taken to every part of the body and stored in the most inactive areas: the belly, the buttocks, the breasts and the thighs.

This article is extracted and edited from the book, Sugar Blues, © 1975 by William Dufty. The book was first published by the Chilton Book Company, Padnor, PA, USA. Warner Books, Inc., NY, published an edition in 1976 and reissued it in April 1993.

*****************************************************************************************************

Dear Black Family

In the islands/ South America, we grow natural raw sugar cane.

Sugar cane plantation

We used to chop it down and eat it raw. Many of us, like my mom and aunts, used brown sugar to make homemade coconut candies called “Drops.” Our most popular candy, Busta, was made with real ginger, molasses and other spices. We gobbled up this dark, sweet sticky goodness like the world was coming to an end. We never got sick, had depression or got cavities. We intrinsically understood that natural ingredients, eaten raw, was never a threat to our health. In fact, the Rastas would chew on a piece of tree bark that would clean their teeth. Coming to AmeriKlan and eating white sugar gave our system quite a shock! Trips to the dentist soon followed and feelings of “uneasiness.”

When I learned just how detrimental white sugar was to the African, I was shocked. But sadly, I was  an addict. Nerds, Sugar Daddies, Gummy worms, Swedish Fish and my most vicious enemy, Peppermint Puffs, were inhaled by my lust for white sugar. The more I ate, the more I craved. It was soon followed by a “crash” where it all caught up with me and I needed to lie down.

My introduction into medicine gave me insight into how the foods that are placed in black neighbourhoods are packed with sugar! Everywhere we looked, sugar was all around us…in drinks, hot dogs, even potato chips. Remember the candy vending machines in school? Remember how we lined up for the sweetness immediately after we ate their salt-laden, fat-filled, frozen foods? It’s a miracle we even lived to be 20.

The chemists that plotted our demise knew that sugar, depleted of its nutrition, would react poorly with melanin. After all, a drug CANNOT be a drug if it doesn’t react with melanin!!! Ever wonder why they always test on white lab rats? It’s to see how it will react with the general population. Sugar in blacks causes:

Depression

Lethargy

Insomnia

Obesity

Diabetes Mellitus (pancreas)

Diabetes Insipidus (the kidneys)

Nervousness

The list goes on and on. I remember when raw, undiluted sugar cane was easily available and cheap in stores. Now, it’s expensive and hard to find. The system has intentionally taken away every and all available tools that will aid us in good health and recovery. Please educate yourself on the dangers of white sugar and if possible, use natural fruits as a sweetener.

Tip: I used to sprinkle sugar in my oatmeal. Now I cut up a ripe banana and mix it in my unsweetened cereal. Yum! Now I get fiber and potassium.

18 thoughts on “White Poison in the Black Diet

1. mstoogood4yall on said:

Nice post.I sometimes use raisins in my oatmeal to sweeten it.Sugar looks like cocaine,its white,grainy,and created in a lab.These people think they slick.Is brown sugar any better than this white sugar? I love the texture and taste of brown sugar lol.

2. honeytreebee on said:

Sugar is indeed a poison. It also plays a part in our history as slaves. There is a good book that I read on the subject of sugar once called sugar is made with blood. Namely our blood from our ancestors now they poison us with it. It is also addictive anyone ever heard of the sugar riots.

3. verbs2012 on said:

My addiction to sugar went when I significantly cut out carbohydrates(which is sugar aswell by the way for those who may not know this) and replaced them with natural fats. Carbs and processed sugar made me feel more hungry which would cause me to consume more carbs and more processed sugar and the cycle would continue.

The body’s natural fuel for burning is fat, not sugar as we have been “conveniently” disinformed by the mainspin media. The body only burns sugar off as an emergency measure to keep your blood sugar down. Fat has a glycemic index and a glycemic load of 0.

We have been tricked into consuming sugar, more sugar and even more sugar in its various forms and normally in some sort of processed form. At the same time we have also been tricked out of eating natural fats in place of consuming so called “healthier alternatives”.

As you have stated here, raw cane sugar is highly nutritious and packed full of vitamins and minerals. The same also goes for raw honey, not the processed cooked rubbish sold in supermarkets. The key here is to consume whole foods, foods in their original state and to steer clear of foods that have been produced via an artificial or/and chemical process.

Organic black molasses is also a great sweetner to use. This post is spot on, white sugar is a complete load of crud and it permeates nearly corner of the modern “Ameriklan diet” as you would say.

4. Umoja on said:

When I decided to consciously change my diet to what my body naturally craves; I find myself having more energy, healthier skin, hair and teeth. My intestinal system runs much more efficiently and regularly also. My new “candy”…a fresh cut melon. I crave fruits and leafy greens now also. A bowl of freshly chopped cucumbers and tomatoes has replaced chips and candy. I also take vitamin supplements and lots of water. (filtered tap water) I stopped buying bottled water because a batch I brought had a funny chemical, metallic taste. I also wonder if brown sugar is a wise choice to substitute refined sugar.

5. honeytreebee on said:

@verbs 2012

Yes white sugar is in so many things not just the out right sweet stuff. Most packaged stuff that passes for food and most sauces and gravies have sugars. Also, a lot of fast food and restaurants add sugar to their food. This is especially true with Asian food, Thai curries which i used to love have a lot of sugar in them. Salad dressings are loaded with it and things life fries and ketchup are meals of sugar.

It is best to bring your own sauces or go without when you eat out and avoid eating out as much as possible. Real stevia and black molasses and honey are great. Just be away that these things are still high in sugar albeit not as harmful and with some nutrient value yet used too often are still not good for us.

6. verbs2012 on said:

Very, very true what you have stated, even the natural sweetners must be used in moderation.

7. verbs2012 on said:

Raw Coconut sugar is another decent alternative, but again moderation is required.

8. Mstoogood

Brown sugar is better but please use in moderation.

Raw cane is best.

9. Verbs

I tried black molasses one from my friend who is from Trinidad. It’s delicious in baked goods. Almost has an earthy flavor.

10. Umoja

Melon is a gift from Jah! I urge blacks to consume more melons instead of candy in my watermelon post.

Honeydew and cantaloupe are my summer weaknesses. I’m trying to cut out sugar but I’m only about 75-80 there.

In the summer, I falter and eat an ice cream cone or a iced coffee.
    *hangs head in shame*

But I’m trying to get there.

11. Negress,

Thank you for this information/post. Researchers are saying that excess sugar could be deadlier than fat and more addictive that heroin, It is also linked to heart disease and cancer… I am doing my best to wean myself off it by using pure dried fruits in my cereals and using an all natural plant substitute such as Stevia. We are becoming a nation of sugar junkies by choosing this legal drug of choice, which is exactly what the Government wants.

12. honeytreebee on said:

I stopped drinking coffee cause it was leading me back into dairy as i almost always have my coffee with heavy cream. which we don’t need. I cream Negress is my weakness so i got an ice cream maker and make coconut ice cream using coconut milk and very little sugar. It got me off dairy and now I sweeten with real fruit juice or stevia.

Try this

it is even great by itself as a treat.

Would any of you suggest this?

I want to get away from refined sugar, although I have a serious sweettooth.

14. Mickey

Looks good to me. Just use in moderation. And if you do decide to try it, please let us know how it is.

@Negress

When and why did racism creep into the food chain? In hindsight, stripping bread, rice, and sugar of their brown color makes no sense. As a youngblood, i fell victim to food colorism. I didn’t like chocolate milk, wheat bread, brown sugar, brown rice, chocolate ice-cream, and so forth. Yes, Ty was anti-black when it came to food. As black people, we must acknowledge that our enemies kill us at the dinner table as well. Today, i love all of the above…Black/Brown Man…Black/Brown Food!

Ty

16. Ty

White domination begins with controlling our minds from birth. Food, drugs, sex, God, marriage partners, drinks, clothes, even the colour of band-aids are affected.

White Demons know that by brainwashing us hate ourselves will translate to ALL areas of life, especially food which you need to live. We are all victims of this madness, myself especially. And we are all anti-black in one way, shape of form.

Do not be hard on yourself. You’re trying to change that now and that’s what’s important.

@Negress

Acknowledgement is the first step. I was so naive as a child Negress. We have to stay on our toes at all times…Yes!!!

Ty