Eating to Live

anybody know some good healthy food recipes to eat? i’m trying to eat healthy but don’t want to be a vegan lol.  —-  mstoogood4yall

With the black obesity pandemic reaching epic proportions, this post is looooong over due. When I traveled across this country, I found vegetarian shops, vegan shops and “raw” food shops. None were in our neighbourhoods. In fact, most of us do not know what to eat in order to live healthy lives. Since I come from farmers and my gardening is my pride and joy, Ms. Too Good, this is for you:

This recipe is super easy, tasty and cheap! I still make this and it tastes good every time:

6 cups cooked brown rice or black (but black is more expensive)

1 can black or red kidney beans, rinsed and drained

1 cup freshly diced tomatoes

1/2 cup red onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, chopped

1 cayenne pepper, chopped or 1/2 tsp. cayenne powder

2 tblsp olive oil

1/2 cup fresh parsley

1/2 cup scallions

cut up cooked chicken, with no fat

Place all ingredients in a wok and stir-fry til hot. Serve with fresh parsley.

Can any of you give Ms. Too Good some healthy eating recipes that you love?

33 thoughts on “Eating to Live

1. Sounds delicious!

Just printed it out and will give it a try this weekend.

Re Ms Too Good

I would suggest finding a vegetarian cookbook and trying some recipes , which she could always add a little meat or chicken or fish to them. That will cut down on your meat consumption as you add more beans, whole grains, and vegetables to your meals.

Other suggestions:

1. stop eating at chinese buffets (that’s not real meat you’re eating)

2. cut out pork (very unhealthy meat to eat)

3. cut out fast food (again, overly processed and not real food or meat)

4. drink the cleanest water you can find (like filtered water) at room temperature (you’ll get used to it and will begin to prefer it that way). Ice cold water from the frig is a shock to your system and will stop the digestion process cold in its tracks.

5. Check out ALKALINE WATER (usually sold at health food stores or vegan restaurants). When I started drinking it it seemed like I lost weight. You can mix half filtered water with half Alkaline water and the alkaline water will alkanalize the entire water

6. If you can afford it buy organic meat and chicken, or kosher meat from a Kosher butcher or at least try to find a grocery store that sells meat that is free of antibiotics and hormones (which eliminates most grocery store meats)

I strongly suspect that most meat sold in black stores is PUMPED full of hormones, steroids, and antibiotics and substances that are making us and our children sick, more cancer prone and causing premature aging.

7. I would use the meatless products sparingly since they’re usually soy and gluten based and are not all that heatlhy

8. Cut down or cut out drinking milk (it’s full of hormones, steroids, and antibiotics), plus most black people are lactose intolerant and should never drink milk anyway–at least that’s what I’ve been told)

Also, that includes a lot of products made from milk. If you can afford it try to get better quality cheeses and eggs for same reasons above.

9. Last thing, stop drinking carbonated soda/pop. I was shocked to find out that it causes a lot of weight gain and who knows what else, since it’s nothing but artificial flavoring and coloring (chemicals)

Hope that helps!

2. honeytreebee on said:

One of the reasons that we in general are so unhealthy is that we hold on to western food myths. Eat real food and real veggies and your body will start the process of healing. I eat meat now, but was a vegan for a long while. It is not the healthiest way of being, but is heaps better than what most do.

The reason that meat is dangerous now is that it is treated in such a dishonorable manner. When I do eat meat I eat pasture raised meat that is never given hormones, pesticides and such. We need protein and unfortunately non animal sources don’t give enough and don’t absorb as well. That said if, I had to choose between an unclean meat source and a vegetarian protein source I would choose the vegetarian source as long as it didn’t involve soy or un sprouted un fermented grains.

There are some good blogs and sites to help you through. on number eight. I find that most if, not all black people should not drink milk or dairy at all. We do not posses the mutant genes for digesting lactose into adulthood and it give us mucus in excess, Try not drinking it for a month and see what happens. Great post Negress as always

3. Have you ever heard of Kangen water? It’s really good. Better than Aquafina,Evian and Arrowhead water. You really feel rejuvenated afterwards.

4. Thanks everybody.I love milk though lol.I don’t eat much pork,I know that i need to eat more veggies but don’t like too many of them,so does anybody have a good smoothie recipe for veggies.I live in the south and food is the culture here,i will try again to eat healthy,its so dam hard because my mom thinks healthy eating is a taco salad with chips, baked pork chops,. I went to a nutritionist 3 years agobut when i told her what food i was eating and that my mom was the one doing the grocery shopping most of the cooking,my mom got defensive and upset with me because she felt the nutritionist was saying she was the problem.I will get my will power back to say no to unhealthy foods,even when my mom buys krispy kreme donuts because the light was on smh.*takes a bite outta orea cookie* smh .

5. Ms truthbetold,
    I was trying to garden but fail lol.I have some kale green seedlings but they always die after 3months.Could you let me know what soil you use and what you add to it.I have limited space but i can get a big bucket to grow things in.

6. Brown rice, stir-fry veggies and boneless, skinless chicken breasts are a staple of mine, though in place of garlic I use Sriracha to spice things up. My new thing is homemade tortilla chips and jalapenos, they’re nowhere near as bad as the store brand Tostito’s knockoffs I used to live on.

Another alternative to commercial beef is Ground Turkey, granted it’s still hormoned and processed up but it’s not *as* terrible as the beef and it’s usually significantly cheaper even if you’re getting a leaner cut (I never go below 93% lean, the stuff in the frying pan that comes off is……. yeah).

Milk is tricky, it can be okay for some of us that may have drank a lot of diet sodas (raises hand…..) since the calcium and vitamin d can slow some of the damage from aspartame (diet sodas makes your bones crap on top of all the other disease it can cause).

7. Ms. Too good

Everyone always wants to know what my secret is for my garden. I don’t have one. I soil from the earth but have also used miracle gro in the past.

Do you compost?

That simply means nothing gets wasted in nature by my definition. Egg shells, coffee grinds, banana peels, etc…it All goes into the soil, even old torn up newspapers.

You must first figure out what your seedlings want. Water, air, sun…they will tell you. Also, herbs won’t grow in chaos. Plants like calm and Serenity. They are alive and eat, drink and breathe like you.

They want care and love.

that’s pretty much it. Store brought stuff is terrible so I seldom use it. Take care of your soil and the soil will reward you with food.

8. mstoogood4yall on said:

How do you cook brown rice because mine comes out gummy but the white rice comes out right.I use a rice cooker.

9. mstoogood4yall on said:

My aunt put eggshells,pebbles and sand in the soil.It works great but its the keeping alive part i fail at.

10. Ms. Too good

for every cup of rice add double the amount of liquid.

11. mstoogood4yall on said:

do you do a soil test to see what ph it has because they say the soil is supposed to be between 5 and 7.If it is not in that range what do u do to lower it or raise it

12. Bry

A post on aspartame comin soon.

13. mstoogood4yall on said:

a lot of artificial Sweetners are dangerous.I forget the name of one we used to use but my mom used it to kill ants and it worked so we stopped using it.A lot of what they put in foods causes cancer so it creates more business for the hospitals.

14. bmx1982 on said:

I just put my rice in a small boiling pot, add the tiniest bit of butter or veggie oil to give it some moisture, let it boil for about 2-3 minutes, and then put the lid on to steam it for about 20 minutes at low heat.

You might want to rinse your rice off after it’s done and then reheat, sometimes the starch gel separates off and makes it way too thick.

15. Enough with the healthy eating. All this vegetarian, vegan, no pork, no red meat and no caffeine talk makes me wanna puke. Next thing you people will be talking about no is cocaine and no weed and no pills. PLEASE!!! Give me all my fat and my grease and all my sugar, I’ll take some gluten and a Big Mac please……….of course I want cheese and make mine a large. I don’t eat veggies, the food that I eat eats veggies. Now, get outta the way because I gotta catch the store before it closes, they got ham hocks and chitlins on sale and I for one do not wanna miss it. Of course I was joking…………I got plenty of time to catch the store before it closes.

LOL!!!! very good article as always sis.

16. honeytreebee on said:

You a laugh a minute Jesus.

17. I was as serious as cancer.

18. THE ALCHEMIST on said:

I remember reading somewhere that stress hormones like cortisol play a role in black obesity and heart disease. If this is true, the impact of race based stress and trauma needs to be factored into black people’s health problems.

19. Alchemist

100% correct. Stress also leads to depression, strokes, insomina,, diabetes and thoughts of suicide.

20. Folks, garlic is a must for cookery! Fresh garlic. Make sure you wash your vegetables with dish soap or fruit wash soap. If you eat leafy greens, wash them especially as you can get salmonella and ecoli from them!

21. honeytreebee on said:

Oh stop it Jesus everyone should check out you blog on gardening and the genus of an idea great for small spaces. Gluten and big Macs please you. LOL…LOL…LOL…

22. honeytreebee on said:

Jesus I’ve seen you picture and no man gets to be as gorgeous and sexy lean as you eating a bunch of crap. Not buy it cause I’m all stocked up on crazy over here.

Since Blacks have to deal with the added stress of racism, Blacks tend to live 8 years LESS than Whites. Racism is literally killing Blacks.

24. SugarKiss on said:

So I just bought this Ninja blender, and I would love to do a smoothie, semi liquid fast because I have some lower back issues and could stand to lose another 25lbs.

DO A GREEN SMOOTHIE POST!!! Even a 30 day liquid fast/semi fast with exercise and I will love you forever!!

Negress PPLLLEEAASSEEE????

🙂

25. @ Sugar

What’s a green smoothie?

You mean a liquid diet?

If so, please do not do it!

Losing weight, the healthy way, is based eating habits, exercise and how your “fat” is predetermined. For instance, many women and men gain weight around their bellies and buttocks. For some, it’s the thighs.

I’ve met patients in my clinic who have been dieting for 20 years. All they accomplish is heart palpitations, stress over-eating, depression and fatty liver syndrome.

Also, black women are not the same as white women as we are not built the same. We tend to have deposits of fatty tissue in different areas of our bodies for a reason. Being overweight, and that means different things in this crazy society, is unhealthy for your heart but…eating correctly and keeping a low blood sugar and low cholesterol and low blood pressure is more important.

If you wish to lose weight, here’s what I tell my patients:

1. Drink water, no soda.
    2. Cut out fast food.
    3. Eat 6 meals a day. Yes, six. 6 small meals will keep you from getting hungry and overeating come lunch and dinner.
    4. Exercise 3 times a week. The best kind of exercise is walking. Get your heart pumping! Get air. Get sunlight. You will see the difference over time.
    5. Stop eating after 8 pm.
    6. Go to bed at the same time, if you can, each night.
    7. If you must eat out, do so but when you’re done eating ask the waiter to take away your plate.
    8. Drink green tea. It really does help you to burn fat.
    9. No liquor.

That’s pretty much it.

26. honeytreebee on said:

Negress I think all our people are under unnatural stress for living here with them. I think that shortly after birth perhaps when we first start going to school the toxic stress starts. This is another reason to have our own space. We need our own day care centers, and schools for our youngsters. We need a way to prepare them for this craziness so they know it is not them. The more I read your post the clearer it becomes that it is so important that every black person have and start their own business and support other black businesses too. Not to say we don’t have our own issues, but they are our issues and I think the healing we need will only come from us and from within.

27. SugarKiss on said:

Thanks for the tips! By green smoothie I meant like raw green veggies (broccoli, spinach, kale, etc) that you could blend raw and drink as 1 or 2 meals a day.

I try to exercise 4-5x /wk and I love strength training and build muscle pretty quickly. I work nights, but try to stop eating by 4am on the nights that I work.

I do tend to gain in my abdominal area, and it is REALLY stubborn coming off.

I am trying daily to wean myself off of starches. They are a real weakness I have. And I will need to stock up on the green tea for sure. Do you add honey? Stevia? Agave nectar?

SK

28. girl them ninja blenders are expensive lol. some recipes i’ve seena are http://www.oatmealinmybowl.com/the-kitchen/30-delicious-green-smoothie-recipes/ some of theses look good to me. I need to try one of these recipes since i don’t eat very many fruits and veggies this is an easy way to get them in and healthier than some store brought garbage

29. SugarKiss on said:

I agree, the most expensive kitchen appliance I’ve ever purchased.
    For 3 payments of 39.99

And I can make a smoothie in 8 seconds flat.

LMAO. (seriously, though)

30. SK

I drink it black. Sometimes, when my sweet tooth kicks in, I add sugar cane.

31. honeytreebee on said:

Okay here is a site that I really like regarding health and wellness. It has a lot of information and is ran by a brotha too. Enjoy

32. honeytreebee on said:

SugarKiss

Don’t do this. It don’t work. Just eat real food.

33. honeytreebee on said:

I’ve done this for a while and find it very helpful and have used it to replace my coffee. I looked into it and most people who keep to traditional ways do this too. I make my own that way I can control what goes into it.