The Miseducation of The Negress

“…Every time you see yourself in the  mirror, whether you’re black, brown, red or yellow, you’re seeing a  person who’s a serious problem for the United States, because they do  not want you here” — Malcom X

I say this with no ego: School came easy for me.

Coming from the Islands where our education system was so rigid (and home-schooling practices were equally rigid), I surpassed many of my white counterparts in the European Mis-Education system much to the dismay of my white Jewish teachers. I was taught, incorrectly, that white education would be the key to my success in a country founded in my blood. I was astutely aware of how my near 4.0 GPA caused my professors mental anguish. I remember the way this one particular white female Jewish professor would frown every time I answered a problem swiftly and correctly. Her thin, lipsticked lips would crinkle at the corners and deep lines marred the center of her brow. My young and innocent mind couldn’t fathom that what took place within the confines of her classroom would pale in comparison to the real world that lay waiting for me.

Perhaps the first time I knew that something was amiss was the day that I innocently stated one day after class that someday, perhaps before my 18th birthday, I would become a famous writer. My Jewish teacher looked at me with great amusement and told me to my face that “Niggers can’t write.” With a sharp intake of breath, the notion of my doom, despite my ambitions, stunned me, hurt me and made me fearful of myself. I tried to understand why “Niggers can’t write” but I could not. Was it a defect from birth that would stunt my abilities? Even now, with my children’s novel and my soap company, the white chip deeply lodged in my brain whispers to me, “You’re nothing but a failure. Fuck you, you black, dirty Nigger. You’ll never make it.” I fight against it daily and sometimes, at my lowest moments, when the white voice inside me is too strong, they win. I acquiesce into depression and take to my bed.

When college came, I got such a high score on my entrance exam with no preparation, it aroused immediate suspicion by the dean and I was summoned into his office for a “conference.” I remember the way he and another white woman hung on to my every word, desperate to hear some reasonable explanation or perhaps a clue as to why I surpassed all other students in a predominately white class. And when my white professors learned that I had no formal training in my writing ability, plagiarism rumours began to circulate. How can it be possible to write “from my soul” and receive A’s when white students studied 2 hours daily and barely passed with a “C”? I was confused. I didn’t understand what was happening and believed it to be my fault. I then made a critical error one day that began my journey into my mental breakdown: I would try harder to appease them. Clarke, Amos, Woodson and many other black educators were forsaken for Yeats, Hemingway and Shelley.

In their company, I only spoke of approved topics, approved movies and tried hard never to appear too “black.” My complexion relaxed them, if only slightly, but my natural hair, which grew long and terribly wild looking, intimidated them. They did not know if I was a “safe” black or if I was comfortable in my blackness….which made them all the more uncomfortable. They hop-scotched from one decision to another and I witnessed it all. Inside their realm of the education system, where their ideas and inventions were talked about and glorified, I was slowing dissolving into madness. I knew that my ancestors built wall street, the white house, railroads and invented all, and I do mean all, of the things we now take for granted, like the traffic light. I wanted to yell, “Hey, my 7th great ancestors created that in The Rainforest!” but kept silent for fear of their denial and anger.

When the workplace and I become intertwined, my state of near insanity was eminent. God gave me a natural ability to learn things with no training, just simple observation and I would perform tasks in 3 days that would take them 3 months…and they hated me for it. I was set up for failure at every turn and if not for the aid of The Creator, I would not have completed my 90 days probation period.

I was completely and entirely unprepared for the level of animosity that I would face at the wicked hands of my oppressors. Lies were told, stories were mixed with fiction, tales were embellished, files were “accidentally” deleted and I, the lone African in many of my departments, bore the brunt of it all. I would duck into the ladies bathroom to weep on many occasions and one day, I caught sight of myself in the mirror. With a tear-stained, red face and a swollen nose…I gasp! So that’s the problem!

I’m a nigger.

This hit me like a ton of bricks. I wasn’t a nigger in the islands. I was black. From God. From my parents. I was proud and almost arrogant of my Carbon. So what happened to me? I went from being one with Jah, to being a lowly, good-for-nothing dog. But, surely my education mattered!!! After all, I graduated at the top of my class despite an Italian woman’s attempt to destroy me. I was well read. Well spoken. Educated with a degree. And medical training. Didn’t that matter? Didn’t that count for something? Many whites could not and did not have the ambition to achieve what I have achieved at the age of 25. I was told that their schooling was the key to my happiness.

Somebody lied to me.

Being black in the entire world, created under the illusion of white supremacy, means you are ignoble. You are worthless. And all your attempts will be futile. Ideas will be stolen, you’ll be cast aside like yesterday’s garbage and not one person will come to your rescue.

Nothing you accomplish will ever be good enough, fast enough, competent enough because you, in the system of white supremacy, are not enough. Your attempts at success will be mocked and trivialized. Your attempts at freedom will be marginalized. The white system will offer you crumbs from time to time, while they feast and gorge themselves fat and rotund. You will salivate for those crumbs in a desperate attempt to have a belly-full of desires. But that day will never come. Not with them as the Master Chef. ALL things that make you who you are will be rendered useless to society. Yet, society could not function without you. It is this paradigm that nearly took my life.

Today, my true Spiritual education continues daily. I read my books now. I watch Mystory now instead of Theirstory. I meditate with Jah, ask for direction from the Universe, which is female and all powerful, and I have begun the painful process of re-learning everything I thought I knew about living in a white world in brown skin. I continuously grow each day. I stagger at times at the blatant evil that spews from the cold, flinty gaze of my enemy, but when all is said and done, I’m grateful to be black…giver of black life, producer of black melanin, ancestor of black Ra, my grandmother’s black spirit and made with the Carbon of the Black Hole. Whiteness may have the privilege…for now…but blackness will always have the power. I’m just a little sad that it took me this long to realize it.

63 thoughts on “The Miseducation of The Negress

1. larissa on said:

I’ve contemplated dropping out of college, but Mom said, without a degree, you are NOTHING. And I thought, with a degree, am I really anything?

2. seedofjapheth on said:

I think the only sorts of degrees people should bother getting are degrees that specialize in certainfields of employment.

3. I love the last 2 paragraphs very powerful. Glad that you made it,everything that glitters ain’t gold.Shoot i need to go to whatever school you went to.People just say go to a white school but if it’s in america it may not be the best. It seems like here in america they do just pass you from one grade to the next even if you aren’t really ready or they hold you back when you are.The teachers are overworked and it’s too many kids in the classroom.America needs to get it together while these greedy people are getting money they want to cut education funding and then whine when china is getting the jobs.America is sometimes backwards we need to invest more money in education and encourage more science.I looked at my brothers i phone and it said designed by apple in california and assembled in china.That is the way it will be if we keep going in this direction no american jobs only ideas.

4. mstoogood4yall on said:

My mom is telling me to go to college as well.I want to but i see all these horror stories of people with degrees not getting a job in their field then getting told they are over qualified in other fields.

5. larissa on said:

I also had this experience last year in college, on the first day back after summer vacation, after doing extremely well in my first year exams, one teacher started scoffing at me. You would hope that they would be happy, if only because it says something positive about their teaching skills, but I guess that’s too much to expect.

@Negress

Do you think that black parents should continue sending their children to government schools, or, should they swerve in the other direction? Charter, Private, and Religious schools are far from perfect, but, black students achieve greater success at those institutions compared to government-run schools. Education is the key to our advancement as a people, this issue is very important.

GoTeam

7. Your story resonated with me. The only difference for me is that their ‘mis-education’ always bored me. I was never inspired by it. Tho I couldn’t verbalize it at the time, I instinctively knew that it didn’t pertain to me. So I tuned out half the time. And maybe this was the reason I became one of those ‘strange’ kids who started hanging out at the ‘black history’ section of the library–and this is really where my true education began. I am ever so thankful that the Creator guided me that way. Black people are seriously delusional if we think that the oppressor is ever going to teach us what we need to know to escape his dominion. All he will offer is just enough ‘education’ so that you are able/willing to perform your role in a predetermined script in which you have no say so or input. You are a bit player & if you are really a good, compliant negro, you may get a cameo role or the rare opening act slot, but mostly, you will be an extra–relegated to the background. I think their should be an altogether new definition of what education should mean for black people. What that kind of education would look like, what kind of black mind & person it would result in? Mr. Woodson may have already laid this out but it’s been a minute since I read his book & judging by the fact that we are still talking about this subject a century or so later, apparently if he did lay it out in his book, not enough of us heeded his words.

8. Tyrone

To answer your question:

The only education black parents should give their children is

1. How to build read and innerstand black civilization from the birth to the maafa to modern day Times.

2. The art of war and military science.
    3. How to build and successful run black businesses.
    4. How to channel proper spirituality.
    5. The laws of the universe. Man’s law is utterly useless.
    6. Farming and agriculture
    7. Building black communities.
    8. Child Rearing and Midwifery.

9. nmaat

It’s gotten to the point where I done talking about this. We blacks will drop $600 dollars for a shirt that says Baby Phat on it and 350.00 for a hair weave down our backs to assimilate into a culture that raped us. But we have no banks, no schools for our kids, no airplanes, no bus lines, no trains and our businesses, if we even have them, are faltering. Our net worth just in AmeriKlan is 1 TRILLION dollars!!! But we “ain’t got nuthin’.”

The harsh truth, as Booker T Coleman said, “I know who put me here. My question is: what am I doing to get myself out?”

The answer that most blacks have:

No one damn thing.

@Negress

Real education and knowledge-building takes place in the home. We’ve been tricked to believe that it’s the job of some unknown teacher to impart knowledge to our children…Wrong! The real reason why government wants to monopolize education, is, it allows them to indoctrinate. All sorts of filth is being pushed on black children in school without the knowledge of the parent(s). Sistas, stop buying your children toys. Instead, invest your money in books and technology. The lives of your offspring depend on it. Uneducated and uninformed black people are slaves, their minds and bodies are controlled by others…Universal Truth!

GoTeam

11. Ty

Dr. Baruti and an increasing number of blacks have chosen to home-school their children for a reason. They are regular people like you and I but they saw a cause and went for it.

If we took our 1 trillion dollars away from whites and Asians and put that money into our own homes and communities, can you image what we could accomplish?

12. T.Bee on said:

Out here where I am a lot of the black parents are sending their little ones to schools that focus on black history and black thought. The one I like the best has Bob’s song get up stand up for your rights as the school song. Their school colors are red, black, green, and gold. The children score some of the highest scores in the district. This is a stark change from what I grew up with here in the USkkk. I made straight A’s all through elementary school, but they had me in special ed. They told my mother that I was autistic. My grades didn’t matter and no matter how hard I tried I couldn’t get out of their classes. However, this all changed when I scored the highest on the golden state exam. They were stunned that they had to give the award to a girl in special ed.

After that I learned very quickly that grades were subjective. These grade measure nothing and mean nothing and don’t defer any type of equality. After figuring this out I was mad for a while and struggled to make some kind of justice for myself. Being asked to make myself small so other will be more comfortable never stops amazing me with these teachers. Now I take a lot of my writing classes on line where the prof. can’t see you and have made nothing but, A’s with the prof so eager to see me. Give me all this praise and such waanting to do for me right. Either it is a black prof. who is so happy to see a black peron attached to the writing or they are shocked and are now questioning everything. Like Truth be told they waste no time jumping to this work can’t be yours. When that doesn’t work they do their best to fade out ASAP.

It let’s me know that yes I as beyond them and would have been ever further along if, I was in a black country like Negress started off in. we come out more advance than them and if, in the right nontoxic environment we surpass them with little effort. This is why here in this country blacks are given shit educations. Our black colleges are being infiltrated and at every turn we are discouraged from sending our children to private black schools or home schooling. A friend of mine from Africa said that where she’s from they let the child go at their own pace and she had finished elementary school by age 10. They make such a big deal out of things like that here but, there it is not that unheard of.

13. honeytreebee on said:

I can’t say how right you are because this is beyond right.

14. Sis, I understand your frustration. But keep movin’ forward. Even if you can’t see the goal/objective. Just move in that direction. I believe the Universe is going to forcibly move us psychically from where the majority of us are right now. Those who don’t want to leave the plantation will be left to perish. Those of us who seek something better for our people will be guided towards that. There are those of us who ‘hear’ you & there are those who may need to hear the msg multiple times before it resonates & they act. Just keep doin’ your thang. Do what God has given you the talents to do & your rewards will come.

15. honeytreebee on said:

Just starting small will help. Like I do with my books. Gandhi said even if, all you have is home spun wear that as opposed to anything your they make. I shop POC and am doing my best to shop all black. next is to save up enough money to buy and own business.

16. honeytreebee on said:

So true.

17. You have the gift of story-telling & knowledge that’s needed. Why not a book series on this knowledge that can be understood by our kids? Or maybe a curriculum (sp?) that perhaps people who are not yet ready to take the step to homeschooling could use for their kids? Look at kickstarter.com. Something to think about or if you have family, friends who are willing to put their $ where there mouth is & invest, I think that’s plausible. Girl if you can’t go thru it, go around it, under it, over it & if you are feeling really randy, kick that shit & you may just find, it crumbles at your feet.

18. emile on said:

The best thing that any of us can do is get a good education. Not because your parents told you so or because it is a requisite for success in today’s very competitive job market. It should be simply for the reason of having unprecedented opportunities for educational advancement that our ancestors weren’t fortunate to have during their lifetime. We also should remember the myriad of challenges that were faced by those that came before us, most of whom had their educational pursuits sometimes curtailed out of immediate financial necessities, or blocked by systematic limitations placed upon them in their living environments, simply because of who they were. Education is without a doubt a defensive and effective tool that should be used during your entire life and complemented with continuous study. Keep an open mind but question and criticize every terabit of data entering your brain-computer. Take nothing for granted and always check your sources. Practice good studying habits, and read, read, read as much as you can. You will find yourself needing more and more time for this and getting less of it as your responsibilities increase (family, job, etc.) and grow older. In your lifetime, there is going to be something that will eventually captivate your interest so deeply, so profoundly that you will be making a life-time commitment to this interest. It happens to all of us (lol!)

People like myself are older, more wiser and more experienced in the real world. We now know that certain things can never be taken for granted, nor compared with the success and accomplishments and thinking of whites. We learned it the hard way but many of us learned much from these experiences too. Let’s face it: in spite of the legal, political and social means to contend against it, we can clearly see that the SOR (mistreatment) was set up to contradict any and every effort we make as Black people to realize our humanity. constantly we are reminded that it was purposely set up that. But as an educated, critically-thinking and well-read Black individual, you are always going to be considered a threat to those whose life-long mission is that of discrediting your accomplishments, qualifications and potential. Why? Go back through all of DOAN’s blogs and comprehend the overall objective that is sought by all of us: replacing the SOR (mistreatment) with a system of justice, where everyone, everyone is treated with justice, and those who need the most help gets the most help. And on of the best ways to do this is through education, which is why such attempts and attacks at our self-esteem should be viewed as a weapon used against us. Wisdom is defined as “the quality of having experience, knowledge and good judgement; the quality of being wise.” Therefore, wisdom is a countermeasure to this and the only way to get acquire wisdom is through education. As King Solomon has instructed: “Wisdom is the principle thing; therefore get wisdom; and in all thy getting, get understanding.” The more our people become educated, the less vulnerable they will be as victims of mistreatment and injustice.

To the young commentators, I’d like to congratulate you on just having the opportunity to expose yourself to the reality we face as Black people at such an early age, especially from the perspective of those who’ve come before you. Some of us have lived half of our lives as DOAN has, and were only recently knocked upside the head with the inescapable truth. The information you are obtaining now will do wonders in alleviating some of the headaches, discouragements, setbacks, bad experiences and dispiriting facets of personal growth. My advice to you is, regardless of what people/society/negative media coverage says about you and your generation, no matter how dismal they paint your future with muddy colors, you do the exact opposite by getting as education, knowledge and good instruction from credible mentors as much as you possibly can, even to the point where you are sick of it. Although you may not see it now, in the long run you will be extremely thankful for your relentless pursuits when they start paying off, whether financially or through personal/spiritual fulfillment. The Creator wants us all to be successful, prosperous and readily willing to pass the baton onto the next generation of wealth and knowledge builders (our progeny). What sense does it to have one predestined to a lifetime of ignorance, suffering and exploitation? None, because in truth, it was never meant to be that way.

Remember that “jobs” are always going to be temporary, no matter how well-paying they are. But the long-term, strategic planning of generational wealth lasts as long as our people are educated and make wise choices and decisions with our accumulations. Knowledge is also a source of wealth, and as we are learning from the mistakes made in our past, we can clearly see what was done wrong many times over. The best thing we can do right now, to prevent those events from happening again as much as we can, is by getting a good, thorough overstanding of our mistakes (the causes & effects, the outcomes, the costs, the lessons learned and the alternatives including contingency plans) is through humility and re-education, turning our uncertainties and weaknesses into strengths. Education can also be used as a framework for developing a new phase of culture, which is perhaps where we’re heading since most of us are gaining more knowledge of ourselves and the need for a new sense of direction in our lives.

19. This makes me think about all the verifiable instances where black people have successfully built/created schools that educated our kids & offered the blueprints: the NOI’s school/university, anybody remember Marva Collins? I think it was called the Piney Woods school in Mississippi that was started by TVOne’s Cathy Hughes grandfather? I remember seeing a profile on 60 minutes decades ago about another school that was headed by a brotha and the children were outperforming the whole state (can’t remember which state it was) white & black–& he later said that altho they had been profiled by 60 minutes, NO ONE, not 1 school came to them to ask how to implement their curriculum. That should tell us all we need to know. THEY don’t WANT learned, educated & knowledgeable black people that they cannot control. Period.

20. You’re correct. Like we discussed before. We have to practice group economics. It’s the only path to true freedom. Of course we had a lot if businesses before integration. That all was taken away after the civil rights movement. We have to go back to the drawing board and do it again.
    It won’t be easy considering we are prisoners of war essentially. But with dedication and discipline it can be done. It MUST be done. There is no other choice. It’s do or die.

21. Emile

Young ‘uns don’t want to hear anything.

22. Amarie on said:

If you want to go to college, I suggest you research and make sure that the college is accredited . I jumped in head first at the age of 20 into a community college for Business Mgmt. and failed to do my research or ask many questions. When I first attended college, the financial advisor told me I couldn’t get a grant because I was ” making too much money for a girl my age”. I was working full time in manufacturing and going to school full time as well. After receiving my A.S. degree, I thought that i would get a good job making good money. I was wrong. The jobs i were offered, were only paying $7 per hour and I was already making $13. To make matters worse, when I tried to attend another college, my transcripts wouldn’t transfer and i would have to start over, because the school i attended was not accredited. I was angry and I still am because I wasted $16000, which i’ve paid off since then by continuing to work in manufacturing. Whatever field you choose to study in, please do your research and call the schools and ask ALOT of questions. You can pull up the job outlook handbook online to check out the nature, salary and growth of your field of study. I wish you well.

23. Ms. J on said:

Thank you, Emile. I appreciate your words as a young Black female who’s trying to understand this rough world we’re living in.

Sister Truth: In spite of all these unfortunate incidents I would think they would make you stronger and even more determined to prove your detractors wrong. I believe that you still will be a great writer. Your writing is what attracted me to this blog site. I know this was painful. But thank you for sharing. Keep your entrepenurial venture and writing going. You are already a success.

25. I wish I could give this post 10 “likes”, thanx for sharing

26. Miss Mary

Painful as hell but I’ve purged it now and i’m ready to move on.

27. Kemetia

Thank you for the support.

Some jems from Dr. Umar Johnson.

29. T. Bee on said:

Like the old saying goes a hard head makes for a soft behind

30. honeytreebee on said:

You do write well and step up a great blog here. I mean look at your comment boards they need double pages and stuff. You know how to keep it rolling up in here.

31. This brotha’s words are so prophetic and timely. Dr. Delbert Blair telling us at least 10 years ago what is happening now…

32. Soforeal on said:

i’ve been through this and definitely don’t want my kids to go through it when i have some. we badly need our own schools or better yet break free from white people. but to tell you the truth negress, i’m tired of talking it should be all about action from here on out from our people. your post was very necessary and profound white people think they are getting over on us through miseducation but in time we will rise because it is mandatory. TIME FOR A CHANGE!

make it snow and numb their veins and let them Bastards know your name. yeah?

33. Sincere on said:

Powerful post Truth. I stand with you. Your summary was perfect.

34. Matari on said:

Hey Truth –

I really, really, really, really LOVE *all* that you’re doing – here – for us, for your people/family.

You, my friend, are an AMAZING and BEAUTIFUL lady!

YOU ARE MUCH LOVED.
    Blessings Abound … the Universe will demand it: reciprocity laws … reaping and sowing, karma, “…pressed down and shaken together…”, and so forth.

Thank YOU so very much.

35. Ms TBT,
    You know the truth, their lies have no hold over you. Every time you move moved forward, you knock your detractors. I have never been a n***** nor will I ever be one. I came from the oldest civilisation on earth, in fact we created civilisation. This life is too short to focus on those who have an irrational hatred of me. They simply do not matter, I refuse to give them any power or authority in my life. Yes there are instances in the place of work and other institutions where we cannot avoid the madness but I will not be defined by others. As Alice Walker wrote in her book ‘The Secret of Joy’ that Black possess is our continued resistance. With your intelligence and tenacity you can achieve anything that you want and that’s why you are a target.

The detractors see you have greatness. That’s why those assholes come on this blog and spew their word vomit. They know that you have greatness. I think it makes them somewhat fearful of you and other who possess this greatness as well. They wouldn’t be coming for you like this if this weren’t true. Even in your youth that teacher saw your gift and it scared the shit out of her. That’s why she said what she said. She was afraid. But why? She should have been honored to have such a gifted pupil.

37. mstoogood4yall on said:

I hear you Ms.Emile

Thanks for the encouragment.I will get an education because i see all that our ancestors have gone through.It amazes me how the older generation went to college or graduated college at early ages like 16 or 17.My grandmother didn’t finish school because she had to work i think she got to 7th or 8th grade.I know parents want better for their kids that is the reason why so many parents today spoil their kids because when they were growing up they couldn’t get anything.My mom came from a family of 8 and she always tells me how hard it was and how she didn’t always get what she wanted or got the time she needed with her mom.I respect and appreciate all the older generation has sacrificed for us.I don’t want to disappoint her or my family so i will do better.
    I say THANK YOU MS.EMILE,TRUTHBETOLD,AND EVERYONE OTHER OLDER WISE PERSON ON HERE,YOU’RE ALL INSPIRATIONS.

38. mstoogood4yall on said:

I remember reading the book roll of thunder hear my cry. I loved it because it showed just how difficult it was when schools for blacks weren’t equal.They would get worn outdated books from white schools and have a school building without heat or air conditoning and no school bus.We have all of that nowadays so i’m trying to figure out why we don’t have as much ambition as the older folk.Maybe its because we take things for granted whereas the older generation couldn’t afford to.Dang i wish i could have that ambition and wisdom.Maybe someday i will.

39. Excellent post. I’m happy for you.

I was fortunate as a young person to hear Malcolm X ask “What’s a Black man with a PhD?”

I don’t recommend mis-education on us. Actually a Brother of mine told me of a Parent-Teacher conference where the Mother put the burden of her child’s schooling completely on the schools. Just imagine, the people who invented the Mother Culture relinquishing a Mother’s duties to others.

But it’s right that the time for talking passed.

@mstoogood4yall; You still can. You must and then some more. If there is any advice I would like to pass to younger people and that is not to become complacent and for godsake don’t rest on your laurels. Black people in this day and time do not have the luxury of being complacent and sitting on one’s laure’s so to speak. And don’t settle for mediocrity. You must go to college and you must go further. I know you know this. Education is important.

41. To all:

Thanks for the words of comfort and encouragement.

To our young readers:

You are the future generation of blacks. We need you to step up and continue this fight or we’ll be having this same discussion 100 years from now…if blacks are still here.

42. Oh yeah, there’s this:

One of our better sites on African Home Education remains: http://umkhontowesizwe.wordpress.com/

43. OH MY GOD!!! THAT’s what I’m talkin’ bout!!! That’s so beautiful. Brings tears to my eyes. All of our children should experience an environment like that where they are fully embraced, loved & challenged to their full potential.

44. Samadhi on said:

Her last name is Bochum-Kline? oh really?
    Do you realise that this lady is more than likely (part) jewish with such a last name?
    Like lenny Kravitz, Maya Rudolph, Lisa Bonet etc…
    Do you realise such offspring are very loyal to their jewish side?
    The jews are infiltrating every ethnic community through intermarriage with the better educated, the ones with a lot of money, be they asian, hispanic, black… to better control them from within.

45. Congratulations. As much as writing down the story may have hurt (at some time) as powerful it is to be able to release the hurt. It is the setting of a good and strong example for anyone. Succeed despite them – no matter who ‘them’ is.
    I recognize a lot from your story. However, I went from intelligent to dumbed-down as I had no one to protect me from their hate. Still, I was intelligent enough to pick myself up and educate myself. I now call the white education system ‘fool school’. But, it is not enough to just dumb us down. Nope, they want us to accept it. And because I did not, I could get back up, and excel. I stopped gazing at the white savior myth, and found my way back to ourstory.
    Anyhow, they show us the first two aces in the deck. To teach our children that they can learn anything they want to, and show them how to do it. And, to teach our children that they are more precious than gold. They have no choice but to believe us, if we treat them as such. So, it is about that time that we treat ourselves more precious than gold.
    I guess my next post could just be a reblog. I am supposed to take it easy, you know. Ashe.

46. I have no idea if she’s of jewish descent. What I DO know is that what I viewed of the Freedom Home Academy’s ‘fruits’ is what our babies need more of, what they DESERVE & what they have always been full capable of …Freedom Home Academy is not the 1st school to produce these kinds of results, I mentioned some other schools in a previous post..most have operated with little fanfare, publicity or support…I don’t know if your response is supposed to imply that this kind of curriculum couldn’t have come from US or if you are being an alarmist for some other agenda or if you are just sharing your opinion but imo, ANY black person who has watched what traditional american mis-education has produced ACROSS the board & particuarly in the black community–would have to juxtapose the ‘fruits’ & then come to their own conclusions.

47. Sibling,

Don’t use entertainers as evidence of anything beyond entertainment. You claim her last name is Jewish; yet how many African people have African last names? “John Smith” can be a Black man and that Black man could be an African Nationalist; why would I dismiss him because of his last name?

Last names are Yellow Flags, not Red Flags. Don’t think a Black person never had the wrong name but the right attitude.

HTP

48. @Onitaset—Excellent point.

49. I’m a HUGE supporter of minorities pursuing careers in STEM subjects, science, technology, engineering, and medicine (or Math) and I’m building a business doing the same. If you’re serious about a college education and I suggest you be that way so that you can earn a good living, send me am email and I’ll help you as much as I can.

50. kowaba on said:

I’ve watched the Freedom Home Academy video in its entirety and I think that Ashaki Bochum-Kline is the wife of the director, Mr. Kline. He mentions in the video that he and his wife started the school in their basement. Perhaps I am wrong, but that’s what it seems to be.

51. I think my entire blog speaks to my entire life in hindsight. You have struck a cord in me that is very difficult for me even still. I read this post three times with hopes of being able to speak on it, but I’m still unable to or unwilling to dig that deep right here right now. I know I said a lot of nothing just now and that was my goal. If you wanna know me or any Black soul living or otherwise, reach for the collective Black unconscious and then hold on.

Thank you sista for your brave self.

All of this talk of keeping smart Black students reminds me of a story several years ago where a Black student was valedictorian of her high school; the salutatorian what White. Shortly afterwards, a school employee said that the Black student’s GPA was incorrect and that she was actually the salutatorian. Questions were raised and someone did their own investigation. They calculated the teenager’s grades and discovered that she was, indeed, the valedictorian. They discovered that someone purposely tampered with her GPA score by taking white-out and covering her score to give her a lower score than the salutatorian. Needless to say, the word came out and the Black student was able to take her original title back.

Last year, a southern school also had a Black valedictorian and decided to make the White salutatorian a co-valedictorian so that the White parents would not be “too upset” at seeing a Black valedictorian. This just goes to show you that some people cannot stand to see progress in POC to stoop to such levels. It’s sickening.

*keeping smart Black students back

54. I went to college, and I’m still at home working for little pay. I tried my hardest to obtain a career, but no callbacks. I didn’t nor do I have a criminal record. I stayed in school when I was well enough to go. I got good grades. I didn’t know where I went wrong. So, I kept asking myself, “What’s wrong with me?”

I’m sorry, I just needed to get that out.

55. Please do not internalize their psychoses. There is nothing wrong with you. When a white male felon is more likely to get employment over a brotha with no criminal record, that tells us all we need to know. Have you considered teaching abroad?

56. emile on said:

@brothawolf:

I’m glad you’ve got that out of your temple.
    Don’t fall for that bullsh*t.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with you!
    Whenever they can, the SOR (mistreatment) tries to discourage ALL Black men (and Black women) from pursuing advanced educational goals. We must be forever aware of this fact. Educated Black people will always be considered a threat to SOR (mistreatment), simply because the more educated you are, the less vulnerable you are to the system. SOR (mistreatment) is set up to discourage you through any attempts on your part to reveal your true potential as an individual. Never, never, ever underestimate or undervalue your potential! You have that “very special” something at which only “you” can do with amazing perfection. We all have these types of gifts. The Creator has given everyone a gift that they can use to make a living and build for prosperity. Obviously, your potential was revealed through your consistent good grades. The best studies I’ve had have been outside of college. A college education is fine but that’s not all that you need in life.
    Educating yourself is a life-long endeavor. You will never encompass the entirety of available knowledge within the Universe. But that’s the great thing about learning: there’s always something new to learn about ourselves and the Universe.
    Make sure you have a skill that’s recession-proof, somethings that brings in substantial income when times are both good and bad. The more your study, the more you know and the more you will want to work independently.

57. honeytreebee on said:

#6 here you go we are doing this and we need to be aware of our poeple who ae making it happen so here you go.

58. Truthfulwun on said:

Any education that is taught to you by your slave master will be an education detrimental to you on one level or another Futhermore trusting or teaching our youth to trust in the slave masters education system will do nothing but a disservice for our people. Side bar*Africans are not our people!

59. You’re being too ambiguous. Education is a tool – it’s how a person uses that tool that’s more important.

I’ll be the first to back you in that we’re miseducated – we don’t get enough math homework in order to balance the books of a black owned business, history lessons taught in white institutions glaze over what they’ve really done to us for fear of it setting us off on a rampage of nation building, etc.

All of that is true, but we can’t jettison the tools and knowledge we acquired simply because master taught us to stab ourselves in the foot with them – we simply have to reinforce in our youth the proper people to direct those “tools” at.

In regards to “sidebar” Africans – all Africans are our people, whether we’re behaving correctly is another issue, and the first step in getting our act together is making us all accountable to each other.

60. Pingback: The Battle Over Your Mind | From Ashy to Classy

61. larissa on said:

How we all manage to get out of bed each morning, is beyond me.