That’s What I Like About Me

Natural Woman

Natural Man

Natural Child

For the new year, I’m going to ask every member of my family to take a long, hard look at yourself and see the beauty of Melanin. See the beauty of your hair, your nose, your lips. God made you in His Divine image for a reason. Let’s never forget that. 2013 began for me on a Spiritual High. Everyone I spoke to on New Years Day commented on my “aura” when we spoke.

On blogger buddy of mine explained that in some African cultures, deep prayer can lead to that “exhilaration feeling” of being connected to the Most High. Perhaps he is correct. I begged Jah for our awakening and prosperity for this “New” Age of Reckoning.

For this post, I’m going to ask all of you to list one thing you love about yourselves. Forget about what white society brainwashes  teaches us. Look at yourself and see all that holds the world captive. Look at yourself and realize why others risk cancer and surgical fatality to obtain what you have been blessed with from birth. The Beauty of Darkness. The Holiness of Carbon. The Godliness of Us…

I’ll go first:

I love my wavy hair. It’s curled into corkscrews and grows high into the air. I loved it when it was long. It framed my face like a wild lion’s mane swaying gently in the wind. Even though I cut all of it off and sport a super short Afro, I wouldn’t change a thing.

Your turn.

56 thoughts on “That’s What I Like About Me

My ebony rubenesque curves and gap tooth smile have served me well over the years. I look like I could be one of those women reclining on a chaise louge eating grapes and grinning seductively. I like my blackness.

*chaise lounge*

3. Miss Mary

What a description! LOL! You sound fine!

I’m comfortable in my skin. No racist miscreant has power over me.

5. Matari on said:

I like that I don’t follow the crowd nor do I believe the lies of conventional wisdom. You know, all those countless lies that we’ve once taken as gospel – put forth by … yeah … whiteness.

I also like that I don’t only think outside of the box – I endeavor to annihilate the box itself! This site among others has helped/challenged me to see, listen, think, believe and hope on an entirely new level …

I like that I don’t give a damn if someone sees me as “different” – uncommon, distinct or odd. I’m simply who the Creator formed me to be. I satisfied with His/Her work.

6. Matari

Well said! It’s all begins with the mind.

7. darqbeauty on said:

I love that my hair mimics the spiral of a DNA strand reaching towards the Heavens and The Most High. I love my full lips that don’t need silly-con and saline injections. My ass that’s high like a thoroughbred without working out. My skin that makes me look like I am 23 instead of 33 and makes the pale women gasp when they find out my age. Nice not to age in dog years. I love that I am part of a “peculiar” people chosen by The Most High. ❤

8. ynotme on said:

At the risk of sounding conceited, I love everything about the physical me(especially my piercing eyes), and while I will compromise and adjust some of my learned habits, the fundamental principle that were instilled in me by the Creator that keeps me grounded(Love, Spirituality, Compassion) will never change or be compromised…That’s what I like about me.

9. I love the fact that I am hung like jesus. LOL!!

In the words of J.J. Evans: just jivin’, just jivin’.

I really love the color of my skin. It took a long time for that to happen, but now I really do love my color. I love that fact that my hair grayed early which left me with white cords and black cords in my locked hair. It’s striped like a Zebra or something. I must admit that my acceptance of myself is not total. I still suffer from body issues having to do with my size. My brain has been trashed by the unrealist standards of what a man is and it has left me damaged. Though my genetics dictate, my brain wants to emulate. It’s not gonna happen, so I stay healthy, exercise and try daily except the fact that I was meant to be tall and svelte like The Most High intended for me to be.

As an aside or maybe not, when we come to this life we are all saddled with challenges. Some are petty to others and some are serious enough to hinder one forever. Though my body issues seem petty to you it has absolutely changed my life and the older I get the more I’m effected by it. This is my lesson in this life I’m sure of that and I have been failing at it, but I can see a time when I will except my long lean self and fly. After all I am tall, dark and handsome…….if only in my head.

I love my curly hair, smooth brown skin, dark brown eyes, elegant nose, wide lips, the black hair on my chest, arms, and legs. Yes, blackness is a beautiful thing.

Ty
    Happy New Year Negress

11. I love my fearless committment to truth-no matter where it takes me. I think that’s why Malcolm X is my hero. I think he and I share that quality. And I love being black–perfect black. We are beautiful in all our variations and complexions and God chose our phenotype/genotype to be 1st. No one can change that fact.

12. Sans the stereotype about big feet and the sexual connotations, I love the fact that I have them, my sanity, my ability to love myself and accept the truth about who I am now, where I came from (however painful) and where my ongoing process of acquiring this strengthening element can take me. I walk every day that The Creator blesses me, to maintain good, basic health, to keep my unconventional, powerful and colorful imagination creatively re-energized. Sometimes, even though it is not as physically enjoyable, it is more replenishing than sex (no joke!)

I’m comfortable in my tawny skin, realizing that The Creator made me, you and everyone else as exactly as meant to be: finely-detailed, unquestionably unique, extremely exquisite, truly one-of-a-kind and just down-right and simply C-L-A-S-S-I-C-!-!-!

Sometimes, it takes years, even decades of personal and societal rejection, low self-esteem and scuba-diving within the abyss of psychological mistreatment before you just soar through the planes of this b.s., propelled by “truth”, aiming you on a course to where you and I are supposed to be…up there among the stars, with The Creator, the origins of life and the origins of true peace.

As Jody Watley sings in “Love To Love”: ”

“I’ve learned
    You really gotta love yourself,
    Before you can give it to someone else,
    You gotta know it’s R-E-A-L!!!”

Real love is loving yourself! And accepting The Creator’s masterpiece of “Y-O-U-!-!-!” is the greatest gift any of us can possess!

13. Crissjensen on said:

Beautiful! love this post!!

14. I’m one who delights in seeing my own naked form recently out of the shower. I think I would be a trophy husband to my eventual suitor. We’ll probably talk too. 🙂

15. Onitaset

*cough, cough*

16. I’ve seen your pic on your site…tall dark and handsome indeed!

17. Darq

I still get carded in my thirties as well.

18. Cinnamondiva on said:

@ mary burrell…this is so deep. By being confident in your beauty, you dispel the lie of white superiority.

19. ynotme

Piercing, eh? Sounds sexy. Like Idris Elba.

20. darqbeauty on said:

Ahhh, it’s so lovely, isn’t it? 🙂

21. Ty

To you as well handsome.

22. nmaat

I admire your fearless commitment.

23. Cinnamondiva on said:

@ darqbeauty…I love it! Pure poetry! 🙂

24. Emile

Big feet, eh?

I think I’ll be quiet about that one! LOL!

25. Cinnamon

What do you like about you?

26. Cinnamondiva on said:

@hunglikejesus…interesting to hear about body image from a man’s perspective. And yes, I’m sure you are beautiful, my brother!

27. ynotme on said:

@Mary Burrell

Don’t forget about that bottle of “ting” while reclining on a chaise lounge eating grape and grinning seductively. Lol!

It’s getting hot up in here!! LOL! I think this is beautiful all the commentors in their eloquence. Self acceptance is a beautiful thing.

29. Cinnamondiva on said:

@ emile…wow, you should really think about becoming a writer/poet, if you aren’t one already! That was beautiful.

30. Cinnamondiva on said:

@ Negress…to be honest, I’m still on a journey of enlightenment and self-love. I was trained to hate myself in this racist society and I’m working on loving the external parts of me, although I know I possess abundant inner beauty. Visiting your blog is slowly helping me to free myself from mental slavery, in a sense. My consciousness is being awakened more and more.

But I guess when I do like myself, I like my big brown eyes. I like the cute little beauty spot at the corner of my mouth. Sometimes I like my curves…despite the fact that there are people who consider me “fat” at a size 10. I like my round hips/behind and the way I can fill out a pair of blue jeans nicely or look sexy in a tight dress. I like my small hands and delicate wrists. I like my pearly-white teeth that have never seen a cavity. I like my gentle spirit, my sensitivity, and my compassion for all living things.

I like my femininity, my softness, and my vulnerability although some might view it as weakness. I like the fact that my heart holds room for love. I like my artistic vision.

Still a work in progress, though…some of y’all have this self-love thing down pat! I hope to fully get there someday. And the little girl pictured above is so angelic…what a little doll. 😉

Because Black don’t crack! Lol!

32. soforeal on said:

negress, from onitaset to you. lol don`t kill me lol

33. Did I say the wrong thing? I’m sure you trip over mirrors too. Black is beautiful!

34. 🙂

Though, the Black Family is forefront. No righteous man sings like that to a married woman!

As far as looking like Gyptian, I wouldn’t suggest it and put anyone’s hopes up. I love myself and I find myself beautiful. I just need one more person to think likewise.

35. soforeal on said:

lol my bad big dawg.

36. darqbeauty on said:

Aww, thanks guys! 🙂

37. You are royal Sista, thank you.

38. Lol, I know you are joking. I really shouldn’t have answered so seriously. But you know how it is when you hear of someone disrespecting you by being inappropriate with your significant other.

Like someone would tell the woman I’m speaking with, “Hang out with me on this special occasion, forget Onitaset . . ..”

Granted, it’s good when the woman says “Sure” so I know she’s no good for me; but the Brother in question is still rude.

With regard Sister truthbetold, we gotta respect the Brother holding her up. He’s a great man as far as I’m concerned and you won’t find me acting against great Brothers.

HTP

39. leigh204 on said:

Hi DOAN:

May I be able to comment what I like about myself, that is, if it’s okay with you? I just wanted to ask your permission first. I had some issues about certain parts of my body as a young girl, but I’ve come to accept them as a source of pride now that I’m older.

40. Hi Leigh

Confess away.

41. leigh204 on said:

@ DOAN:

Thank you! 🙂 Well, I guess I’ll start off with the most obvious, and that’s my eyes. While my small eyes were continuously mocked so much so I wanted eyelid surgery, I was fortunate to have a mom who praised my eyes because she said I had been given the sight to see the beauty in all things. Thank you, mom! (RIP)

Is it conceited to say I am proud of my boobs? I’ve always been accused, as an Asian woman, of having breast implants. Not these D cups! All n-a-t-u-r-a-le, baby!

There was a time when I wanted to be a lot taller. I’d wear skyhigh heels to the detriment of my poor feet. I’m 5’3″, but as my fiancé says, “Good things come in small packages”. 😀

42. Leigh

I’ve met many voluptuous Asian females. I used to know a woman from Malaysia who made men fall all over themselves shamelessly.

Be proud of those “D’s”!!

43. I love everything about me which makes me the Black woman I am. My eyes, my eyebrows natural arch, my lips, my hips, my skin complexion, high cheek bones. I could go on because I’ve learned to love all I was told about me wasn’t normal. I watch people risk health and poverty all for what I have naturally. I love me 🙂 !! Great post, sharing b/c we all need to learn to love ourselves and stop risking our lives to appear as someone we are not.

44. Reblogged this on que274 and commented:
    You are the way you were meant to be. Far too many die during or after cosmetic surgery. Why risk it? No matter what changes you try to make, if you don’t love you from the inside out, then changing your appearance won’t bring you the joy you seek. People will always find something negative, learn to love you without the need of outside help.

45. I love everthing about this black body. nothing i would change on me.
    from my hair(small fro) too, my skin color, lips ,face, my sexy brown eye’s, my strong leg’s. i just love me!!

46. Criss

Sexy brown eyes?

Hmmmm….you and Ynotme need to talk. LOL!

47. What do I like about myself? That’s not the question that crosses my mind but what is there not to like about myself. After years of pondering this, I haven’t arrived at any answers!! I absolutely love the fact that I am able to laugh at most anything, am an absurdist, love jocularity etc., etc.. Growing up almost exclusively around whites, I learned at an early age what day it is with most of them. They are absurd! Let the hilarity and jokes at their expense commence!

48. leigh204 on said:

@ Herneith:

Hey, that’s what I LOVE about you, too! You have a great sense of humour of which I can really appreciate. Oh, and you’re also a fellow Canuck. What’s there not to like, eh? 😀

49. @ hernie

Your best trait by far!

50. I love my glowing brown skin and the four different complexions of brown that I have on my body. My high, well arched brows. My soulful brown eyes. My lips. My round face lol. My high cheekbones. My regal neck and superior straight shoulders. The dip in my lower back. And last but not least, that nine ether hair on my head.

@Negress

We need “Group Therapy” like this on a regular basis Queen. Blackness is a blessing, we’re supposed to love Us. As a blackman, i love to hear blackwomen shower themselves with praise, it brings a smile to my face every time. Saying “I Love You” is a good thing when in the company of The Natural Woman. I admire your loyalty and love for our people Negress, you and other Queens are the fuel that i need and want to navigate thru the maze that we call life. Sistas…We Love You & Appreciate You…Always!!!

Ty

52. We love you too Ty. You’re a blessing to the struggle.

@Negress

Blackwomen have beautiful breasts, Why do you think blackmen focus so much attention on the back compared to the front? I’ve never understood why we don’t fawn over “Chocolate Bubbles” with the same intensity? Brothas, we love every inch of Nubia, all of her.

Ty
    PS…Just asking an obvious question Sistas

54. Leviqueen on said:

I love my long Nazarite locs! It’s a covenant with the Most High, it’s my antennas to the Most High and represents my wisdom, faith and natural beauty. Others who cannot obtain them marvel in amazement and ask questions for more understanding, but they lack understanding and the spirit of God which has been given to me.