Blacks and Health: The Natural Way to Heal Part 7

Garlic

Did you know that garlic is actually in the onion family?

Cousins of this smelly bulb are shallots, chives and leeks. Over 7,ooo years old, this African plant/bulb has been used for its wonderful health benefit. Its hydrogen sulfide production is well-known amongst herbalists to help prevent colon, breast and prostate cancers.

Aside from being delicious in culinary cuisine, garlic protects the heart by:

Increasing blood flow to the arteries

Lowering cholesterol levels in the blood

Combating high blood pressure (when made into a tea)

Lowering blood sugar levels

When we were living in NYC, there was a little bakery that sold garlic knots. Drenched in garlic and fresh oregano, I inhaled these to the point of needing 2 showers a day! LOL!

I put garlic in just about everything I cook including fish and my stews. My friend eats garlic raw (followed by a tall drink of water) and urges us to incorporate this heart friendly bulb in all dishes.

Next article: Ginger

14 thoughts on “Blacks and Health: The Natural Way to Heal Part 7

1. I find eating whole peeled cloves of these babies spicy :-).

So i don’t do that much…what i do is peel them and finely grate them with a grater and use it in vegetable dishes. You are absolutely right about the health benefits, in fact it helps me keep my weight (i fear gaining even a pound).

Too bad though i splurged yesterday. *sigh*

It gives lots of dishes flavor. It stinks but I have heard it’s good for you.

3. I put garlic in everything, that and hot peppers, superb!

4. ynotme on said:

Negress,

I use garlic on a daily basic to fight my allergies and to ward of colds/flu and sinus infections, works great, especially when combined with fresh lemon juice.

5. ynotme on said:

correction: *daily basis*

6. ynotme on said:

Negress,

Here is a delicious Garlic drink recipe

Garlic milk : A medicinal drink.

This drink with garlic, is tasty, less hot, less smelly and very effective in fighting cold,sore throats and infections. Is your picky eater prone to frequent cold ? This is the right drink to enhance his/her immune system. Kids love it !

Ingredients:

1.A cup of milk.

2.Garlic cloves – 3.

3.Sugar to taste.

4.Turmeric powder – 1/4 Tsp.

5.Honey (optional) – a Tsp.

6.Black pepper powder(optional) – a pinch.

Steps:

1. Crush the garlic cloves a little with the sides of a knife or a garlic crusher. ( Note: Do not crush them hard. We want them in whole. We are crushing a little just to open the pods for the juices to flow out.)

2. Boil the milk with these crushed garlics in it.

3. Add the turmeric powder.

4. Let the milk,garlic and turmeric boil thoroughly till the garlic is soft when pressed. Keep stirring the milk so that it doesn’t get sticky at the bottom. A tip here is, you can add a spoon of sugar and dissolve it in milk before it goes on heat. This will help in avoiding the milk sticking to the vessel.

5.Bring the milk to a warm state and add sugar to taste.

6. Drink the milk and make sure you eat those cooked garlic cloves.

Variations:

A variation to this can be made in step 5. If you like the taste of honey, you may try substituting sugar with honey. Make sure you add honey only when the milk has cooled down to warm state. Honey with hot milk kills the benefits of both. As much as honey soothes a sore throat, regular intake of honey with milk will increase body weight.

Another variation that you can make is adding a pinch of black pepper powder to the boiling milk. This is for those spicy eaters and adults. A pinch of pepper powder enhances the flavour of the drink when it makes it a little more spicier than plain garlic milk. Black pepper with its own unique medicinal quality adds only to the benefit of your body.

Turmeric powder is a medicine by itself. Like honey it soothes any sores in the body including that of the internal organs. It is antibacterial too.

Having said all this, I need not stress more on trying this drink for it is a culmination of all good things your body longs for when it is sick.

Enjoy the drink every night before going to bed for a peacful sleep !

7. Ynot me

Hmmm….Turmeric is on my list of herbs to talk about. But for some reason, garlic, milk and black pepper cocktail???? YUCK!!!

Sorry, lol!

8. Phoebes

It’s ok. Men like us women to be a little thick.

9. ynotme on said:

I agree, it sound a little disgusting, but the sugar/honey makes it a lot less YUCK!!!

10. Hernie

Ever try scotch bonnet?

11. Yes but in small amounts. It is one of the hottest peppers on the planet! I love jalapenos stuffed with feta cheese!

12. soforeal on said:

you should look into getting a show on the food network negress. lol

13. Soforeal

Don’t tempt me! I love to cook!