Top 10 Favourite Movies

OK…time for a little fun. List your top ten favourite films….I’ll go first.

1. Snatch

2. What Lies Beneath

3. Eve’s Bayou

4. A Time to Kill

5. Scarface

6. The Professional

7. Coming to America

8. Love and Basketball

9. Burnt Offering

10. The Usual Suspects

Your turn…

71 thoughts on “Top 10 Favourite Movies

1. “A Raisin in the Sun,” the version with Sidney Poitier, of course.

“Claudine”

“Nothing But a Man”

and a few more sprinkled here and there, depending on mood.

2. 1. Hav Plenty
    2. The Inkwell
    3. Blade Runner
    4. Loving Jezebel
    5. Shottas
    6. Fresh
    7. Cooley High
    8. Hollywood Shuffle
    9. The Wood
    10. Sugar Hill

3. @ Cinque

I’ve been wanting to see The Wood and Sugar Hill. On my list of movies to see…

4. Natural Born Killers
    Snatch
    Rock n Rolla
    Meet Joe Black
    Phantom of the Opera
    10th Kingdom
    GI Jane
    August Rush
    Pirates of C 3
    American Gangster
    Scarface
    Cry Baby ….

on and on depending on mood 🙂

5. @ Cari

I love a woman who can appreciate Scarface!! And American Gangster was a masterpiece.

6. thanks, love American Gangster, agree a masterpiece. the end always leaves me wanting more

7. Goodfellas was a great gangster film too.

8. SomeGuy on said:

I can’t properly arrange my top 10 movies, because my mind really doesn’t work that way. However, I can list 10 films I really enjoy in no specific order:

Schindler’s List, Flash Gordon, Spun, Kitten with a Whip, Cobra Verde, Event Horizon, The Mist, Jackie Brown, Naked Lunch and Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan.

9. @ Someguy

The Mist? Is that John Carpenter?

10. No particular order:

Night Catches Us
    Do The Right Thing
    Cooley High
    The Spook Who Sat by the Door
    Malcolm X
    Panther
    The Matrix
    Love and Basketball
    Boyz N The Hood
    Bay Boy

11. SomeGuy on said:

Stephen King and Frank Darabont.

12. The Wood was pretty good. If you grew up in southern California(like me) you can really relate to it. Sugar Hill also surprised me. I thought it would be the typical gangsta drug-dealing movie. But it had some very moving moments in it.
    You like Scarface??lol That’s a gangsta classic!lol I’m surprised. I don’t meet to many women that like those type of films.lol It’s very popular in the gangsta rap culture. They always reference it. I did watch it a lot when I was a kid. I think it was a bit over the top with the violence.lol But I think that was the point. I think Scarface was the perfect anti-drug dealing film. Tony Montana was a ruthless killer that killed his boss and took his woman. Men see that as the ultimate gangsta mentality. It may look cool–but let’s not forget what happen to Tony in the end.

13. Rock n Rolla is one of my Wifes (and mine) all time favorites!!! That, Gangster#1, I’ll sleep when I am dead and Layer Cake made us visit England for a recent vacation!!!

14. @ Prince

Boyz was great. I also enjoyed Menace II Society. Malcolm X was Lee’s masterpiece.

15. @ Someguy

Ohhh…ok. I’m thinking about the Fog. Sorry. Hey, did you see They Live? Great Illuminati movie. Hey Someguy, did you ever see Flesh Gordon? LOL!

16. @ Prince

I grew up wanting to be Tony Montana. LOL! I love his fearlessness. I love the speech he gives in the restaurant about society needing him to be the bad guy. Brilliant!

17. @ Cinque

Layer Cake??? Why does that sound familiar? Who’s in it?

18. Yeah one of Spike’s best. Did you know the Hughes Brothers wanted Tupac for that role of O Dog in Menace? Larenz Tate got the part but that would’ve been very interesting seeing Tupac in that role.

19. *thick Cuban accent* “Joo need people like me. So you can point your f***ing finga and say that’s the bad guy!” lol

20. @ Prince

I would have loved to see Tupac in that role…Tate is very good too but Tupac would’ve gave some flavour.

21. Hahahahahahahaha…..that made my day!

22. Guys…who here has seen They Live?

23. The new James Bond himself Daniel Craig!! Told in the first person about a drug dealing go-between who gets in over his head. Great UK film!!!

24. Hmmm….ok. I might see it now! LOL.

Daniel Craig did this fantastic film called Mother. Did you see it?

25. Oh yeah I remember that film! I saw it way back in high school with my cousin. We only went because Rowdy Roddy Piper was in it.lol I was big wrestling fan as a kid. There were a lot of hidden messages in that film. I liked the sunglasses that made it possible to “see” the truth. At that age my cousin and I didn’t know the real meaning. It would over our heads. But looking back on it–I can see what the movie was saying. Funny you brought that movie up. Most people I talk to don’t even remember it at all. What do you remember from it?

26. Thought you might get a kick out of that.lol

27. With Roddy Piper and David Keith(one of the greatest bass voices of our time) Good film from way back…I think 1989 or 90?

28. @ Prince

Everything. I have it in my modest movie collection. I love the scene when Piper is listening to the preacher man talk about how “they all control you.” And “we need to wake up our sleep.”

One of the best Illuminati films to date.

29. @ Cinque

Yes…And very relevant today with the hidden messages in the advertising signs and in the magazines.

30. No, but it is no my list now!! Thanks

31. SomeGuy on said:

The best part of They Live:

I have heard of Flesh Gordon, but I can’t recall ever seeing it. I’m wondering how you even knew about such an obscure “film”.

32. SomeGuy on said:

Not on your top 10?

33. @ Someguy

There’s a lot you don’t know about me…
    *wink, wink*

LOL!

34. It almost made it…but The Usual Suspects won out.

35. Yeah that’s right. I remember that. I need to buy it and add it to my collection. I’ll find it on dvd. Since it was an 80’s film the special effects aren’t that great.lol The technology is much more advanced now. But for it’s time,it was a great film to awaken people. Some folks probably see it as just an alien film.

36. Yes…I posted it on the bottom for everyone.

37. Thanks for that!

38. Ron Thomas on said:

(1) The Day The Earth Stood Still (The Original)
    (2) Cry Freedom
    (3) Dog Soldiers
    (4) Krakatoa: The Last Days
    (5) The Thing (w/ David Keith & Kurt Russell)
    (6) Dead Presidents
    (7) Children of Men
    (8) Red Tails & The Tuskegee Airmen (a dead heat)
    (9) Letters From Iwo Jima
    (10) Pitch Black

39. @ Ron

Dead Presidents was fantastic and made it’s way into my movie collection.

The Green Mile (RIP sweet Michael Clark Duncan), Drop Squad, Do The Right Thing, Edward Scissorhands, All The Harry Potter Movies, Big Fish, Ghost Dog The Way Of The Samari, Good Fences, The Birdcage, Too Wong Foo, Thelma&Louise, Forrest Gump, Eve’s Bayou, Crooklyn, Jason’s Lyric, Inkwell, Hearts In Atlantis, Ciderhouse Rules, What Dreams May Come, Glory,Malcom X.

I over stepped my boudaries, I love television and films I’ve got way too may to count.

42. Miss Mary

Thelma and Louise is one of my favourites.

Look for Drop Squad and Good Fences. It talks about all the stuff we talk about on this blog.

44. OK…Thanks Mary.

Today is Idris’s 4oth birthday. Iwonder who he’s eating birthday cake with. Lol!

46. Not with me that’s for sure…hehehe

47. 1. The Fly (1958 version with Vincent Price)
    2. Blade
    3. Swamp Thing
    4. Trilogy of Terror
    5. The Ten Commandments (1956 version with Charlton Heston)
    6. Don’t be afraid of the dark
    7. The fog (1980 version)
    8. Menace II Society
    9. Rambo (First Blood with Sylvester Stallone)
    10. Philadelphia (With Tom Hanks and Denzel Washington)

48. SomeGuy on said:

Ah, Swamp Thing… I must have seen that film a few dozen times during the 80s.

49. 1.Malcolm X
    2. Shaka Zulu
    3. Great Debaters
    4. Conan the Destroyer
    5. Blade
    6. The Air Up There
    7. Sarafina
    8. Fast Five
    9. The Lions in the Darkness
    10. Coming to America

50. @ SomeGuy

Some called it a cheesy, cheaply made sub-par horror flick, but “Swamp Thing” is my all time favorite….I also have a love for those campy films.

51. @ Frikalture

Yeah…Blade was badass. Wesley was the perfect choice for the halfman/ half vampire.

52. SomeGuy on said:

IMHO Blade 2 was better.

53. @ Someguy

Didn’t see part 2. Most sequels suck. Except for Terminator and Godfather.

54. SomeGuy on said:

Make it your next rental. You won’t be disappointed.

55. @ Someguy

Ok. sure.

56. I don’t know where my mind was. I don’t know how I left out Sankofa in my top ten. All black people need to see this film! Great film!

57. Children of Men was a very interesting film. It took place in the year 2027 and women are no longer able to get pregnant. And the one woman that happens to get pregnant is a black woman? Is the black woman the mother of all races??Hmmm…are they trying to tell us something. The film also showed the whole world in chaos and war. The year 2027 is not too far away,right?

58. Thanks Prince…I’ll watch as soon as time allows.

59. A must see! I think you’ll really like it.

60. Ron Thomas on said:

You know, for just full-on, hands down stereotypical, hoodrat foolishness, this is my favorite.

61. @ Ron

Hehehehehe…

62. fiamma blu on said:

Got to agree with SomeGuy! Blade II was much better. I actually liked Blade, but I LOVED Blade II, and have seen it several times.

Blade III was the one that sucked.

63. fiamma blu on said:

Some of my favorite movie in no particular order:

Cooley High
    Blade II
    Equilibrium (w/Taye Diggs; Christian Bale)
    The Prestige (w/Christian Bale; Hugh Jackman)
    Silence of the Lambs
    The Shawshank Redemption
    The Green Mile
    The Lady in White
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Conan the Barbarian

64. @ Fiamma

Shawshank was magnificent!

65. The upcoming film “Luv” looks to be an interesting film. It stars Common,Danny Glover and Meagan Good. It comes out in November.

66. I thought this clip of “Don’t be a Menace” was quite revealing. It exposes those phoney brothers who claim to love sistas but secretly lust after white women. Although it’s a serious subject,this clip was kind of funny.lol

67. @ Prince

I always cringe at these “black” films…I never know which way they will go.

68. I know the feeling.lol You never are sure what direction they’ll go in. The trailers can mislead you at times.

69. A Black Steel Magnolias??