Hair Envy Part 2.

Look at this:

And this:

And, even though her real hair looks like this:

On film, she must look like this:

Since I do not watch much TV, if at all, my friend was kind enough to send me this:

African hair, both threatening and terrifying to whites, must be tamed, controlled and made to look more like “them” if you wish to be famous or even employed. I can’t even count the numerous times my potential employers have peeked at my natural, curly, low cut Afro and blinked. I wear my hair 100% natural all the time. And when it was long, I looked like her:

Can you imagine the discomfort I created showing up to a predominately white hospital looking like that? One white woman, after much staring, actually asked me how do I wash it. With Head and Shoulders!!!!

Since blacks, in the eyes of white AmeriKlan, are considered savages, our hair is but an extension of our animalistic nature. By wearing false hair,( sold to us by Koreans…not even our OWN people ) made to look closer to white hair, it eases the tension (minimally) whites feel when in our presence.

{Side note: Since blacks are brainwashed to hate themselves by the Power of White Propaganda:

the U.S. Government gives Koreans and other Asians loans and grants to sell us our own products so the black dollar will leave our pockets every 10-15 minutes. Make no mistake about it, it was planned. This enriches their culture and leaves the black culture even poorer. This ingenious and diabolical strategy was done after the bombing of Tulsa, OK when the black dollar circulated for at LEAST 15 times within the black community. No wonder we were millionaires! The government, under the Wilson Administration, understood how important it was to dissuade blacks from supporting their own stores run by their own people. That’s why today, most black products, like hair creme, clothing, accessories etc, is run primarily by NON-BLACKS.}

This is not a criticism of my sisters who wear wigs / weaves / have processed hair…but a study on our hair and how it relates to whites and our culture. Tell me something and of course be honest; If Michelle Obama sported this look:

How do you think the AmeriKlan public would react?

When Madam CJ Walker:

Invented this tool:

Do you think she did it out of the “ease and management” of our kinky/coarse/curly hair? Or was there a Eurocentric motive behind it? And why is this product apart of a multi-BILLION dollar industry?

Do you think hair is important as a representation of black culture? How? Do you agree with weaves? Why or why not? Do you have natural hair? If yes, why go natural and not relaxed? And even if you disagree with my post, do you believe that whites find our hair in its natural state “terrifying?”

53 thoughts on “Hair Envy Part 2.

Well, speaking as a woman of color who has naturally wavy,fine-to-medium textured, long hair (no weaves, no relaxers), I say live and let live and White people need to do the same. You don’t see POC running around telling White people how to wear their hair, do you? When I got my first job at my local mall, I worked for a wholly-owned usbsidiary of a MAJOR company. When the new hires came on, we were given pamphlets related to “The Look” we were supposed to have at all times while on the job. Visible tatoos had to be covered, hair had to be one color, no facial hair for the guys, and hairstyles for women could not be outrageous. There was a statement in the booklet that said, “Hairstyles deemed Afro can be worn as long as they are tamed and neatly packed.”

Although I wore my hair down with a headband, this one White woman would CONSTANTLY come at me about my bangs. In her opinion, my bangs would possibly get in the way of my eyes if I were trying to perform a task that required me to retrieve something from a high point. My bangs did not impair my eyesight or field of vision, especially considering the way I styled it. She was just after me because she had nothing better to do. (And that’s just the tip of the iceberg, but I will not get into that.) And I’ve also noticed that it is Blacks or part-Blacks that receive this treatment. Whites do not seem to judge others this way, or am I wrong?

2. I suspect that a whole lot of Black women would stop wearing weave if Black men would stop engaging in gutter sex with white women. Personally, the way I wear my hair is my choice, be it natural, relaxed or in tracks. I’ve worn my hair in various styles throughout my life, and yes, even when I was natural, I unfortunately received some negative comments including being mistaken for a male (I don’t know why since I’ve never seen a male with big breasts and lovely hips like I have).

Bottom line, this hair issue is just one indicator of the mass attack that Black women face on the world scale. As a Black woman born and raised in America, who does not walk around talking about how she’s part Indian or part of anything other than Black, I am tired of the whole world coming down on me and those like me. Why is it that Black women in america are constantly degraded and attacked? It’s always about what we do. Everybody is constantly telling us that we’re wrong, that we’re incapable, and no matter how much education, money and self-confidence we have, everyone still finds a reason to hate us. People from all walks of life constantly tease and abuse Black american women and I’m tired of it. For me, it’s not even about the hair anymore. It’s about trying to survive in a world where I am put at the very bottom simply because of who I am. I’ve even seen Black women from other nations, including those located in the Carribbean, and Africa, degrade and abuse Black american women. So until we can address the larger problem of why the world hates Black american women, I consider the hair issue to be just another avenue of abuse from the world. In closing, I’d like to say this: don’t criticize me on my hair. If you’re not going to say anything that will help me as a Black american woman to escape the abuse and solve the problem of racism white supremacy, then shut up.

3. Disclaimer: I wasn’t directing the above post to any specific person. I was just stating that I believe the focus on hair and everything else that Black american do is, in my opinion, just another reason for people to point the finger at Black women as a symbol of what’s wrong with the world.

4. Mickey:

I feel your angst. That’s why I wanted to study our (many different) types of hair and how I relates to our esteem and how whites perceive us.

5. Thank you for re-blogging this.

Black women, unfortunately, are on the bottom of the scale globally because of who we are. Envied yet subjugated. That duality causes jealous rage with whites, especially women and fear amongst the white community as a whole.

By wearing your natural hair, it is a BLATANT rejection of the white culture and frankly, it hurts their ego.

Yes, although, to be perfectly honest, I have had hair issues primarily from Blacks rather than Whites. The “good hair” thing which is still alive and kicking in the Black community. This particular White woman just had something against me and was using my bangs as an excuse.

7. “Good hair” is an oxymoron and something that irks me in the black community. It came from having something from the white master that made you “better” than your African counterparts.

Yet another sign of self-hatred and brainwashing. Blacks are so sick with their hatred of other blacks with light skin and fine hair. Before we were introduced to Eurocentric brainwashing, we never knew any thing else. In fact, we were PROUD of our kinks and waves and ornaments, beads, cowry shells and such…all worn in the hair with pride.

Since imperialism, we sank into a sick spiral. But I’m determined to break this shit! Whites will not get the best of me! And if I can help it, they won’t harm the family anymore.

8. SomeGuy on said:

Just as a goof, last year I put relaxer in my hair and that night went out clubbing. My White friend looked at me when I showed up and said, “You look Mongolian!”

Shortly afterwards, it was back to my usual buzzcut.

This reminds me of a case back in the early 90s where a Black woman who worked for Hyatt sued her employers because they discriminated against her because she decided to wear her hair in braids instead of the chemically relaxed hair that she had before. They called her into a meeting and asked her why she decided to change her hairstyle, stating that she looked fine before. She then asked if it was the style that was bothering them, to which they said that the style was beautiful, but they saw her hairstyle as extreme. Just another classic case of pushing a White standard of beauty onto a Black woman.

Truth

As a blackman, i feel that blackwomen can wear their hair however they please. I prefer sistas with natural hair, but, if they choose to wear weaved hair or extensions, it’s not a major concern to me. I’m more concerned about what’s inside her head, than what’s on top of it. The beauty of black hair, is that, we have variety and versatility in how we style our hair. As for blackmen, we should never have chemicals in our hair. I’ve seen a handful of brothas with jheri-curls, and it was not a good look. Most blackwomen would be shocked that they’ve turned the black hair care industry over to Koreans and other asian women. Another example of black people making others rich instead of themselves…Unacceptable!

@spiritualascent

Blackwomen are not the problem, blackmen are the problem. We’ve been brainwashed to think that slavery messed up blackwomen more…Not So! As you stated, many sistas continue to perm their hair because of self-hating blackmen who want them to have hair like that of whitewomen…Straight! Blackwomen love themselves, always have. If they didn’t, our race would be extinct right now like the Aztecs and Mayans of Central America. I think sistas have focused most of their frustration at the wrong party, instead of confronting self-identified coons like Sidney Poitier, James Earl Jones, Terrence Howard, and other black males who are nothing more than useful idiots for whitemen. They don’t contribute anything to the upliftment of black folk on this planet, they know that. At the same token, blackwomen can’t wait for brothas to get right. Proactive is the key word, self-motivated to do what’s right and just in relation to blackness. As to whitewomen, they’re just as flawed as blackmen are. Blackmen are trying to get back at whitemen by engaging in gutter(soul-less) sex with women they have nothing in common with and don’t love…Epic Fail! I think both parties are pathetic to be brutally honest with you. Full disclosure, i’m guilty of said mindset as well, but i dealt with this issue many years ago. All heterosexual blackmen deal with the white female dilemma whether they want to or not. Whitemen push their so-called beloved whitewomen onto blackmen, Why they do this is beyond me? It’s deeper than hair. The system seeks to disconnect black males from black females, which is how hairism shows itself. Bombard black males with images of pale, blue-eyed, straight-haired anglo females to disorient them in the process. In essence, black men waste a lot of time chasing after a group of women who present themselves as hypersexual by design…Snow Bunnies! The hair is a surface issue, not the main focus.

Look Sister, I feel hair weaves/wigs whatever it’s just accesories. I like switching it up. Changing looks. As I stated in an earlier post I have no desire to look white or European. I have worn braids, twists, even had a teeny weeny afro once. I do what is good for me.

13. I personally feel that however you choose to rock your hair, just make sure you do it well, and that it is healthy. I currently do have relaxed hair but have not gotten one in awhile due to me strongly considering going “natural,” and I have a sew in as kind of a transitional style. I think weaves, relaxers and things like that only become an issue when women wear them solely to “fit in” with what they think society wants them to look like. When they’re doing it for the acceptance of others, rather than because it looks good on them, its what they want to do, etc, thats when the problem arises

Coming to America, Soul Glow dripping down the wall from that Brother’s greasy nasty Jheri Curl. LOL!

15. Me too Sista! This idea that we hate ourselves because of what we do to our hair is ridiculous IMHO. I AM NOT MY HAIR!!!!!

That said, I’d ask Black women who use chemical straighteners in the hair to consider this. I use one of the main chemicals in relaxers to isolate DNA AND IT’S A CARCINOGEN. Black women have higher morbidity/ mortality rates from cancer than ANY other group of women. Coincidence?

However because this is a multi BILLION dollar industry, don’t expect the FDA an ‘nem to step in because as we already know, folks don’t give a damn about what happens with us.

Coincidence? I don’t think so, but you decide!

16. This tends to be a very touchy subject;but i want to ask….if it is not some psychological distrust of our natural beauty, then wouldn’t we wear weaves that resemble our own hair?

17. @ Phoebes:

That distrust you speak of comes from a eurocentric mind frame once again telling us not to believe in ourselves, our beauty and culture.

I like kinky curly faux afros, sengalease twist. Whatver strikes me.

19. @Mary
    I think that is great…but the majority of black women wearing weaves and extensions are meant to imitate a aesthetic that is not our own.

20. I don’t get how our women usurped the hair debate when practically every Brother cuts off his hair. Chemicals are physically more dangerous than cutting off your hair, but spiritually, the frequent cuts that men do isn’t really much better, if better.

Backwoods Africa had men and women rocking crazy natural styles. For some reason, we leave the Brothers out of the natural debate when we’re actually worse perpetrators than women.

Brothers cutting their hair to fit into White society are talking about the weaving Sisters . . ..

I rocks Natural with Sister Truthbetold. Maybe some day she’s come twist my hair as I twist hers. :-p

But for me, I don’t see how anyone can say that they don’t straighten their hair for White people. Hair straightening and hair cutting in America has nothing to do with personal taste and what fits your face. The Creator didn’t design your face to fit straight hair. Hair straightening (Sisters) and hair cutting (Brothers) has to do with the White man saying “You better hurry up and die, forget who you are and give me money.”

That’s what it’s about.

21. tehnoun on said:

See, this is why everyone should just shear it off like I do. 😛

But seriously, this kind of brainwashing is rather sad. And it’s not even the worst product designed to impose the eurocentric beauty ideal (that, in my opinion, would be products/surgeries designed to lighten skin tone, especially given how dangerous they are).

22. Actually the main ingredient in relaxers; lye…has been known to cause brain tumors in women who have used them for years.

Also, black women who use relaxers for years have a visible trace of lyme underneath their skulls–this is not true for black women who have never used a relaxer or discontinue the use of them altogether….not to mention others being able to breathe in the fumes from a sister’s permed hair and the damage these chemicals do to the environment.

But, to each her own…

24. White folks don’t “own” straight and wavy hair as the commenter above Mickey can attest to.

I shave my legs and arch my eyebrows, and I don’t do so because I hate hairy legs and bushy brows. I simply like my appearance better without hair on my legs and extra hair on my brows. For most Black women, hair, make- up, ect enhances our beauty, it doesn’t create it.

Can someone tell me where all these low self-esteem Black women are because I don’t see that much in metro DC. Actually, I think some of you are victims of the white mans hype that most black women think ill of themselves, so free your minds ASAP!!

25. Minor chemistry lesson here folks from a 15 year trained chemist, many relaxers contain calcium hydroxide (CaOH) which is NOT lye. The chemical formula for lye is sodium hydroxide (NaOH) and is rarely used in the forms which you can purchase without a being a licensed Cosmotologist.

Now there’s a debate about whether or not CaOH any “better” for your hair/ scalp than NaOH. And I’d argue that chemically speaking, CaOH is much less toxic that NaOH ( and this is how its marketed by the folks who make it), but why be a living experiment?

26. Looking at the 2 pictures of Jill Scott above…
    This makes me realize that I’ve never seen a Black woman who looks better with straightened hair than with her natural hair.

Is it just me?

27. No…straightened hair on blacks is unnatural.

28. ynotme on said:

@Dahoman

I agree 100%. Her natural hair really accentuates her beauty and complexion.

29. I just heard a Sister bring up how high heels cater to ‘appealing to men.’ This is the same psychology of straightened hair (though rather than ‘men’ it’s White folk.) Certainly, a woman who wears high heels can convince herself that she’s only doing it for herself, but the physical discomfort and harm are sacrifices that she makes not for herself or her own eyes but for others and another’s eyes.

Like, how do women argue that they straighten their hair for themselves, yet they rarely go through their days looking at themselves? Basic knowledge understands that the eyes point away from a person . . ..

30. Onitaset:

I read an article that stated most women get dressed in the morning not to appeal to men but to make other women envious.

Frankly I’m tried of all the mind play. As long as I’m showered and neat and my clothes are pressed, appealing to others is way down on my list.

And honestly, my connection to God is probably the most pressing thing on mind mind right now. Times are getting more perilous and blacks aren’t gonna make it if we continue this foolishness!

31. White folks don’t “own” straight and wavy hair as the commenter above Mickey can attest to.

No they don’t and that wasn’t my point….

There are black ethnic groups who have a naturally looser curl pattern or straight hair; but these are NOT the images many black women in America see and aspire to be like. And then again, why should only straight or wavy haired black women represent ALL black women? Why not include sistas who have a wide range of hair textures including the straight and wavy that are naturally their own…

Black women can do whatever they will to their hair, but i don’t buy the arguement that wearing a weave or wig that does not look like your own hair be it straight, wavy or curly is simply self-expression…IME, these are the women who never wear their own hair b/c they do not like it.

32. phoebeprunelle on said:

33. The woman envy is vying for male attention, just as the hair debate is vying for professionalism (or White attention.)

For instance, ‘neat and pressed’ clothes is vying for professionalism and White attention too. It’s not much different from weaving one’s hair. At the end of the day, White folk tell us what’s Proper and we weigh ourselves against that.

Obviously, showering is just sanitary and has nothing to do with professionalism; but we know that when we put on a business suit for an interview, we’re telling “The White Male Gaze” that we’re willing to conform. It’s not really entirely ‘racial’ either. It’s just how White people operate.

White men cut their hair and White women wear wigs. The question only becomes whether Black people should concede to this social arrangement that fits White people but doesn’t at all fit us. Aren’t we Black? Don’t our men and women go topless in the swelling Sun? Shouldn’t we be able to wear a cloth around our waists and be normal rather than a sight to behold?

I was at a Drumming session where the people dressed in traditional garb. A woman approached me and asked “What nationality is this group?” These were Africans in America. It’s worth realizing how much we conform. And how much we really hate ourselves in that conformity.

@Dr. Reine I think we are of the same mind in this hair debucle. I just feel like these things enhance me. Like when the barn needs a new coat of paint it looks better white people do not define what is my attractiveness. My self esteem as a black woman is intact. *In Meryl Streep voice* “That is All”.

35. What do you call it when EVERY other race does something different with THEIR hair? I have a friend that’s an actor in Hollywood, and he says white women wear more weave and wigs than ANYONE else.

So is it okay for everyone else to wear wigs and weaves because their hair is naturally straight, wavy, or whatever? Or can a person ONLY wear hair that’s most like their “natural” texture?

Tell you what YOU first, find the nappiest wig you can and wear that mutha’, lol!

36. Yes we are and I LOVE Meryl, especially the movie that quote came from!!!

37. “but we know that when we put on a business suit for an interview, we’re telling “The White Male Gaze” that we’re willing to conform.”

Or that we need a job.

38. Fine we don’t agree.

I said black women can do what they will to their hair–i just think that due to history–most black women are not wearing weaves and extensions to imitate other black women.

39. leigh204 on said:

@ Mickey:

“To each her own, however, I believe that there are safer methods of straightening the hair that do not involve harsh chemicals such as lye. Some Japanese women straighten their hair if their hair is wavy. South Asian Indian women do as well. And I have met some White women who straighten their naturally curly hair. Hair straightening is not unique to the Black community as most believe.”

(You are correct about some Japanese women, some South Asian Indian women, heck, some other Asian women straightening their hair if it’s wavy. I had a couple Asian friends have something done called “magic straight”. It makes your hair pin straight. And oddly enough, their hair was straight to begin with. Go figure. I even considered having my wavy hair straightened at one point because I wanted something different. However, I remember the damage that occurred when I permed my hair on many occasions. I just loved the curly curls, but my hair was getting ruined. I guess we always want what we don’t have. I have since given up perming and coloring the bejeezus out of my hair and have accepted it for what it is…wavy. And honestly, I feel so liberated that I don’t do anything to my hair anymore except “wash and wear”. Black women have beautiful hair. I adore all the differents styles from, I hope I get this correctly, puffs, locs, twists, braids, etc. You ladies are so blessed.)

40. You know, I haven’t read the comments yet, but I think that TruthBeTold is wrong!! If black women want to attach a dead Korean/wilderbeest fur on her head as an extension, then she has a right to do that! It makes them look beautiful and I am glad that black women have the right to exercise their own choices! After all, they’re still black , no matter what! I fblack women want to try a new style, then that’s OK.

In unrelated news, I’ve decided that I want to try a new look for myself. So I have started bleaching my skin, and I look great! I started at a Wesley Snipes complexion, now I have that nice smooth Will Smith complexion. The girls just can’t get enough of me, they call me ‘browning’ and ‘baby’, and I can wear all kinds of clothes that match my complexion better. But, hey, the important thing is, I love myself, right?

41. Hahaha!!!

Nooooo please don’t bleach your beautiful dark skin. I loooooooove a chocolate man. Just look at my list of top 10 beautiful black men.

42. What do you call it when EVERY other race does something different with THEIR hair? I have a friend that’s an actor in Hollywood, and he says white women wear more weave and wigs than ANYONE else.

43. Just look at my list of top 10 beautiful black men.

Didn’t I ban you from my blog already for that gay shit?

44. phoebeprunelle on said:

Ladies you want your man to pull your hair–he can’t if tracks and pins are going to fly all over the place 🙂

I have heard my brother and younger male cousins say that and this–“if black girls do the natural hair, we will still do them” time and time again.

45. I seriously doubt Barack Obama would have been elected had Michelle worn her hair naturally.

satanforce

Out of all the whitemen i’ve ran across on the Net, you’re the funniest of them all. It’s hard for me to dislike you my man. Satanforce, sometimes people are born the wrong color. I’m still gonna beat up on whitemen, but, you’re the exception.

Peace

47. Last time I checked, Me , my mommy and my daddy still the same complexion as Morgan Freeman.

48. Cinnamondiva on said:

@spiritualascent…I know I’m responding to a really old post from, like, a year ago.

But for what it’s worth, try to keep your head high and your dignity intact. This society, this world, will always try to bring you down.

Never lose sight of how beautiful you are.

49. I go through the old blogs too as I an new here and find some of the post so danm good.

I wear my hair natural and out here I’ve noticed more black women are doing the same. I think it is a step in a positive direction and showcases the special and unique beauty of black women.

The weave is expensive one of my coworkers who just stopped wearing them told be they go from 400 to 1000 and beyond. Imagine what you could do with that kind of money.

my natural hair runs about 5 dollars a month if, that. Though a good conditioner and a seamless comb are worth the extra money.

i’ve just started wearing it loose and besides really needing a trim I feel so free.

50. Also found that all the white people really want to touch my hair. I’ve never understood this.