Dear Mr. Perry…

Since you obviously hate us, I have no doubt that you’ll ignore my plea but I must try nonetheless to reach out to my black man. Mr. Perry, I hate your films. And only you and the Great Spirit know why you dress like this:

Mr. Perry, whatever happened in your past is obviously affecting you now as a grown man. I have my suspicious but will keep quiet. Since you are one of the most famous and listened to black directors / screenwriters / actors / producers in Hollywood, you have a responsibility to uphold the dignity of our African people.

You sold that dignity when you became rich.

I saw the transformation…I also noticed that after you made A Family That Preys, one of your best films, you succumbed to Hollywood rather than grow artistically. Mr. Perry, along with Spike Lee, Antoine Fuqua, The Hughes Bros and Kasi Lemmons, etc…, you make up the black elite directors/producers club. A small list in comparison to the hordes of white producers.

Therefore, Mr. Perry, the power lies within your hands to change the overt and rehearsed manipulation of our black sexuality, buffoonery, emasculation, prejudice and degradation. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news…I know it’s not fair to place all the burden on your shoulders but in AmeriKlan, one black person is a representation of ALL black persons.

I’m empathetic to your plight nonetheless. I know Harvey Weinstein and Warner Bros. stands in your way. I also know of the “contract” blacks must sign when they become famous. That’s why Spike Lee distributes, produces and markets his own films because he doesn’t want to play that game. If you and all the other black directors/ artists joined forces and financed an all-black production company, you’d be unstoppable! But of course, it can never work that way, right?

I hope you will please consider my plea to stop this humiliation of our people. We are barely out of bondage…please do not help our slave master to shackle us once again.

39 thoughts on “Dear Mr. Perry…

1. tehnoun on said:

I think what’s really a shame is that he could totally make some truly great films if he wanted to, but no, he just sells himself and makes more of the downright insulting and offensive bullshit the public wants. Too many talented directors and writers just sell their integrity and create mass produced garbage, but I think Mr. Perry is the most irritating case of this.

2. Most images I’ve seen of Madea has her dressed like the picture above: grandma style housedress with purse slung on arm, the family matriarch trying to keep her family together in her modest Atlanta home. In Tyler Perry’s latest movie, Witness Protection, Madea changes into a pink Channel dress, high heels, lipstick and makeup, traveling to the big city lights, which is the setup for a new, sassy and sexy Madea:

*There are scenes at the airport where he warned the TSA agent of where this continued pat down where lead, crude remarks about how far to spread her legs for scanning.

*There is a scene at the bank where she leaves her associates in the car waiting, then hours later, she if followed out of the bank followed by a white banker doing heavy flirting leaving one to wonder what took place in the office.

All these images are taking place while the young audience members are trying to wrap their head around the fact that they are looking at a big black African American man. Can we say confused? There was a young Black man around 18 or 19 there with a group of friends. He laughed several times throughout the movie. But by the end of the movie his laughter was halfhearted, as though he realized the humiliation this movie brought. Sad.

3. @ Brandon
    I’m writing a post on the emasculation of black men in cinema. It will explore this in depth.

I have a video that will go nicely with your post about this.

5. @ Mickey

Great!

6. I have a love/hate relationship with Tyler Perry, but it’s mostly love. And I don’t think it’s valid to focus on the Madea movies and use those to characterize him. In my opinion, he’s proven himself to be so much more than those movies. Case in point, For Colored Girls. I also LOVE the fact that in his films, you ALWAYS see Black educated professionals which is a hellva lot more than Holloywood does for Black folks.

Is he representing Black folks perfectly? No, but we aren’t a perfect people and neither is any other group.

7. @ my good Dr.

Since Tyler Perry represents black men and people believe what they see on TV, he should stop wearing a dress.

8. ynotme on said:

In one of Dave Chappelle’s interview on the Oprah Winfrey show, he mentioned something about being asked, on a constant basis, by the white Directors/Producers to wear a dress. Why are they encouraging black men, especially comedians, in Hollywood to wear a dress? I believe he said Martin Lawrence was also asked.

9. You are awesome for addressing this topic. I’m happy you did. Tyler Perry has an very obvious responsibility and God only knows what he is doing with it.

The future will clearly show how effective Mr. Perry was in whatever direction he went. One thing is for certain, here and now: Tyler Perry is dressing in drag and making black women and black men look stupid. Period. I’ve said this in public and private.

I really wish he would put an end to this foolishness and stand up like a man and be a man. This is no time for him to play around with confused sexuality with overtones of this and/or that. It’s time for him to stand up on the soap box he was given and herald a message of hope, restoration, and love for a downtrodden people. He was given this opportunity and it would be terrible for the opportunity to be wasted.

This is the video where he speaks about this. The additions are from other sources.

11. ynotme on said:

@ Mickey

Thank you!

12. @ Brother:

Perry will look back on this and have profound regrets.

13. Maybe he IS representing himself by wearing a dress, LOL!

14. I think you may be right about that one.

15. I can agree that it’s time to “retire” the Madea character. But what if he IS confused about HIS sexuality and Madea is a manisfestation of that for HIM?

I jokingly made the same comment above, but what if it’s true?

I just don’t really know what to think of him. I want to say hey the brother is prosperous. He’s doing his thing. Another part of me see how awful his television shows are, Badly acted, the writing is awful. House of Payne just makes me cringe. I can’t stand Meet the Browns. I don’t attend family functions because after a Sunday meal or holiday function at a certain family members home she pulls the Tyler Perry dvds out. That is then my cue to leave. I’m such a snob about movies. It annoys them. I always say he’s making the films he wants to make, I hate the stage plays. I knw he gives work to people who would normally be out of a job trying to make a living in the film industry. But as long as people continue to be fans of his work, He will continue to make his movies and write his stage plays. Everybody can’t be Spike Lee or Kasi Lemmons. His art does’nt require critiical thinking. People commenting on his sexuality, thinking the Madea character is something in his psyche. Only God and a good therapist knows for sure what’s going on in this brother’s mind.

Back in the day there was Flip Wilson, Did people react to him the way people do today about Tyler Perry?

Hey and I’m just putting it out there. Do jewish people get mad at Adam Sandler and his crappy movies? I kind of think it’s unfair to put the burden on Tyler Perry.

19. Sorry…I don’t watch a lot of TV. Who is Flip Wilson?

20. Miss Mary:

The Jews know of propaganda all too well. That’s why they have the Defamation League. They understand how Hitler was able to murder them and have an entire nation AGREE with it.

Blacks have the NAACP but they are brought and paid for by Wall Street. Ben Jealous works for 2 masters.

Flip Wilson was a comic back in the 70’s. He used to do a character by the name of Geraldine. You can Youtube this. Martin Lawrence did Shanaynay, Jamie Foxx did ugly Wanda, I’m just thinking of all the black comics that dress up in drag.

22. ok…thanks.
    For some reason today’s black man dressed in drag seems a bit ominous.

You know after viewing Mickey’s video with Dave Chappelle I’m starting to rethink this. They just kept coming after him to wear that dress. It is possible they want to emasulate the black man. I’m clear about this now. Thanks for the enlightment. Peace&Blessings.

24. Tyler Perry puts black men in a precarious position if it is true.

The state of Black America is such that there is neither time nor room for confusion of who you are and what you represent. You, as an impactive “leader,” have to speak up when you’re given the mic. What you say becomes [gospel] and there will be [millions of people] impacted by what you say, do, embrace, endorse, look like, etc.

What does Tyler Perry and his unnecessary Madea character say about Black men? About black men in Hollywood? About black men with a [voice]? It’s not saying anything good right now and I do not want to be represented that way. His possible confusion about his sexuality and resulting display casts an unwelcome shadow over the rest of the brothers.

There’s a quote that I like that can be applied to the Madea character situation: “…See, the Black race can’t afford you no more. There used to be a time, we’d see someone like you singin’, clownin’, yassuh-bossin’… and we wouldn’t do anything. Folks liked that. You were good. Homey kind of n*r. When they needed somebody to mistreat, call a name or two, they paraded you. Reminded them of the good old days. Not no more. The day of the Geechee is gone, boy. And you’re going with it…”

I cast the first vote for the retiring of Madea. Let’s have positive representations of black men in all forms of media.

25. True, God and a good therapist can figure out what’s going on upstairs with Tyler Perry. In the meantime, though, he’s sending seriously mixed messages that affect millions of people across the planet. He may be working out his issues, however we have to wade through all of the mess that he leaves behind while he cleans up or comes out. That’s irresponsible of him (or anyone) to place that burden on his followers.

Queen Latifah was suspect for, what, 20 years? She finally [came out] to her relief and the joy of many. What about the many women who were trying to decide whether to model themselves after Dana Owens, though? Many feel duped that they were led along for so long not knowing where their idol was leading.

You have a valid point with the employment issue. He does employ many and that is a noble act on anyone’s part. Hats off to Mr. Perry for that. He is a shining example of what can be done with money and influence in that respect.

I didn’t know about Kasi Lemmons before. I think I’ll check her out.

By the way, Mary Burell, do you have a blog? Your writing is great and always worth reading. I bet you’d have an awesome blog!

26. The emasculation of the black male is a recurring motif in America. It was one of the trophy punishments during slavery when brothers were castrated, too. Take away a brother’s ability to be a man and you take away his ability to procreate: population control. No more black babies.

27. I’m with you, TBT, I think Tyler Perry hates Black people. Btw, I also think Oprah hates Black people. Both suffered abuse as children at the hands of Black people and they are getting their revenge by highlighting the lowest among us.

Hopefully one day both will get some therapy.

28. Mickey,

I swear that I was thinking about posting this video and you beat me to it. lol

Valentina raises a good point, It never occurred to me, about Oprah and Tyler Perry being abused that it’s possible they might have some resentment of black people. something to think about.

30. Yes this is a serious problem. And it needs to STOP! I’ve had it with Tyler Perry and the rest of these actors that have sold their soul for a dollar!

Oh yeah, Ving Rhames as Miss Holiday in Holiday Heart. But seriously guys these guys are actors just playing roles. Hey what about Dustin Hoffman in Tootsies. Well Sister Truth, you really are going to trip when you see Chewitel in KInky boots. What about Wesley Snipes in Too Wang Foo? I love films. I know the brothers are feeling some kind of way about this an I see where they are coming from. But this is just my opinion. I don’t tink anybody could emsculate big sexy Ving Rhames. Wesely was a ugly woman as Noxema Jackson. LOL!

Hey Sister, This is my last comment for the evening. I tink Dr. Reine said it best Is Tyler Perry representing for black people perfectly? The answer is no. But we are not perfect. No group is. I like her responses. I love everybody’s opinions on this blog spot. It keeps my thinking procesess sharp. You with your clean crisp dialogue. You and Brotha Wolf need to collaborate and put your blog post together in a book. Just a thought.

*think*

34. Yes…her past is very shady.

35. Miss Mary:

Whites who dress in drag are being “artistic”. Blacks who dress In drag are a representation of the emasculated male.

36. Telcomcorp on said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepin_Fetchit Stepin Fetchit – Lincoln Perry
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flip_Wilson Flp Wilson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyler_perry Tlyer Perry

First I must thank and commend you for your concern.
    According to my research it seems each generation has one of us that by circumstance or fate
    is compelled to satisfy the pathological needs of albinic/white population.

However I have further criticisms

1.Belief in the God Concept.
    you abagond,brother wolf,and Tyler perry all subscribe to belief in a supreme being –
    belief – acceptance without proof or evidence ,much less belief in a mythical being
    should not be a part of any critical and progressive analysis and opposition.

Unfortunately this is to be expected from a passive and submissive population as it must be

expected that from the earliest stages of our species just as with individual members of our

species – infancy childhood adulthood – maturity and reason require time and development.

2.The Coercion of the albinic/white population
    who owns the studios?
    who kills members of the meleniniated/black population with impunity?
    etc etc

3.Passivity and submissiveness of the meleniniated/black population.
    From the book Dirty Little Secrets (About Black History, Its Heroes, and Other Troublemakers Claude Anderson, Ed.D.

From the earliest beginnings in Africa until present day, black people have responded to various forms of racism and human exploitation in a manner that is totally inconsistent with normal human behavior and their own best interest. For whatever reasons, they have placed compassion and love for others above that of their own people.

They have sought individual acceptance and advancement at the expense of their racial group. Contrary to conventional wisdom, it is difficult to blame such behavior entirely on the “slavery conditioning process.”

Blacks were displaying such inappropriate behavior patterns before and during the early years of black enslavement. As early as 1704, when “The Eagle,” a galley slave ship had taken aboard 400 captured black slaves off the coast of Africa, a young black boy displayed the sort of inappropriate behavior that has been a bane of black people’s protracted dilemma.

After just a few days in captivity, the slaves decided to revolt while they had a measure of temporary freedom at supper time. One of the older slaves who had broken free attempted to strike the captain of the slave ship in the head, seize his weapons and take control of the ship. But, a black youth around 17 years of age to whom the captain had granted several favors, took the older slave’s blow on his own arm, breaking the bone.

The young slave’s interference allowed the captain of the slave ship to recover and rally his crew. Under the captain’s leadership the revolt was put down, the black revolters were slain, and the ship continued to the slave colonies in America. When the ship landed, the captain granted the boy his freedom with some money. The youth was placed in the service of Robert “King” Carter so that he could learn how to provide for himself in a nation where blacks were slaves.

Until present time, many blacks choose being liked and getting along above getting out of their socioeconomic dilemma, regardless of how they are treated. (1)

37. Ok…I’ll agree with some of that but let me ask you something; you want proof that Jah exists?

How?