I’ve been working on this post for a while now. I deleted it. Then rewrote it. It’s ridiculous, really, but it needs to be said. Since whites in AmeriKlan…
Bad about themselves from a black person, God made Tim Wise. If you don’t know Tim J. Wise, let me tell you a few things about this fellow:
He’s a white anti-racist scholar….or so he claims. He’s a southerner. He’s an author and an orator that speaks about whiteness and its supremacist machinations in AmeriKlan. He’s trained companies and law enforcement officials on how to undo racial practices in the workforce( which we blacks know only teaches them how to be MORE racist and get away with it ). And he’s esteemed, well-spoken, highly educated and thought to be “One of the most brilliant, articulate and courageous critics of white privilege in the nation.”
“Tim Wise is one of the few people, along with perhaps Frederick Douglass, who has ever really spoken honestly and forcefully to white people about themselves…” —Charles Ogletree, Professor of Law, Harvard Law School; Director, Charles Hamilton Houston Institute for Race and Justice
“(Wise’s) work is revolutionary, and those who react negatively are simply afraid of hearing the truth…” —Robin D.G. Kelley, Professor of History, University of Southern California, author of Race Rebels, and Yo’ Mama’s Disfunktional!
I’ve noticed a few things about the white mind while traveling across this country. Most whites in this society are monolithic. They act, speak and think the exact same things. That’s why say, in Vermont, I can hear the same conversation with two white women that I hear in say, Michigan. White supremacy has prepped them from birth on how to be the same..think the same…eat the same…shop in all the same stores…much like The Borg. With supremacy, sameness is key. Since I no longer speak to or have relations with whites lest I go mad, I wonder who will converse with them regarding “The Problem with No Name?” (Folks, if you haven’t read my post yet, please do.)
Wise, a white scholar, says EXACTLY the same things blacks have been saying for centuries, in fact he himself even says that he is NOT saying anything new. Yet when he speaks, a hush falls over the crowd and they hang onto his every word in adoration. In fact, with his old southern-like, preacher-ish way of speaking, he reminds me of the Baptist ministers I knew in church. Please listen to an excerpt:
Wise, ever so eloquently, explained to an “educated” white man why only blacks can call each other “niggers.” The man, in his desperate need to understand this “problem with no name” was transfixed. I found the whole thing riveting. And extremely amusing. I began to wonder why is Mr. Tim Wise the voice to be heard regarding the “complicated issue of race in AmeriKlan?”
1. Whites don’t want to hear a black person tell them anything about racism for fear of being blamed for it. Remember, whites in AmeriKlan are good, decent, moral, Puritanical Christians (excuse me while I cough). Getting blamed for something that happened a really, really, really long time ago forces them to deal with their sickness called racism. And it also forces them to answer for the sins of perpetuating this supremacist society directly or indirectly, with the most detrimental of all actions: silence and acceptance. Who wants to swallow that medicine?
2. Whites only believe what other whites tell and teach them. This is the foundation of racism in and of itself. But don’t tell them that. That’s why only white people can teach other white people about racism. Please see example #1.
3. Mr. Wise, a white man, will “break it to them gently” using lengthy, multi-syllabic words while a black person will just say it “like it is”. This matters greatly to them. The way you say something is more important than what you say.
4. Wise, who shares their skin, doesn’t pose as a threat to their whiteness.
5. Because blacks are considered scary to converse with it. See Example #1.
6. Because blacks are still considered inferior, low-class, dumb and nothing can be learned from the black man.
Why is this a problem, you ask? Why even write this post? Because Mr. Wise, in his alleged “goodness” has taken on the White Man’s Burden Syndrome…for white people. This burden, given to them by The Almighty, compels them to be the omniscient beings they were born to be. In order for whites to understand the pathology of their illness, they need to be confronted with it. Head on. We’re not children. Blacks had no choice but to confront racial hatred head on so why should whites be coddled?
They know EXACTLY what this “problem with no name” is. They know every single time they look at our brown faces…and glance away. They know when they feel the need to stop talking whenever we enter the room. They know when they are fearful of saying the “wrong things” and upsetting us. And they know every time an incident occurs because of racism and they try, oh so desperately to convince us, “See? It happened to me too!” I don’t buy the bullshit! And neither should you!
In fact, my awakening has lead me to believe that white supremacy intentionally created Mr. Wise as a distraction to Amos Wilson, Dr. Welsing and Neely Fuller. If I’ve learned one thing about the system of white supremacy, that thing is this:
White people will do just about anything to remain supreme.