Dreams of My Father

Digging through my history has been challenging to say the least. I’ve come across so many troubling essays, articles and hidden-from-sight facts that I felt emotionally sick. But through it all, perhaps throughout my entire life, I’ve felt a deep connection to one person even when I never knew his name.

Nat Turner.

Is it possible to feel something before you know it exists?

I think so.

I’ve felt Nat Turner’s spirit with me my entire life. A burning need that defies articulation has been building in me since the day I heard the word “Nigger.” I feel him in the sun. I feel him in the power of lightning. And I feel his presence when I’m at work, giving me guidance as I stare ever so insolently into the blue-tinged, gelatinous, empty orifice of my enemies.

Nat Turner was born on October 2, 1800, in Southampton County, Virginia. While still a young child, Nat was overheard describing events that had happened before he was born. This, along with his keen intelligence, and other signs marked him in the eyes of his people as a prophet “intended for some great purpose.”

In 1821, Turner ran away from his overseer, returning after thirty days because of a vision in which the Spirit had told him to “return to the service of my earthly master.” The next year, following the death of his master, Samuel Turner, Nat was sold to Thomas Moore. Three years later, Nat Turner had another vision. He saw lights in the sky and prayed to find out what they meant. Then “… while laboring in the field, I discovered drops of blood on the corn, as though it were dew from heaven, and I communicated it to many, both white and black, in the neighborhood; and then I found on the leaves in the woods hieroglyphic characters and numbers, with the forms of men in different attitudes, portrayed in blood, and representing the figures I had seen before in the heavens.”

On May 12, 1828, Turner had his third vision: “I heard a loud noise in the heavens, and the Spirit instantly appeared to me and said the Serpent was loosened, and Christ had laid down the yoke he had borne for the sins of men, and that I should take it on and fight against the Serpent, for the time was fast approaching when the first should be last and the last should be first… And by signs in the heavens that it would make known to me when I should commence the great work, and until the first sign appeared I should conceal it from the knowledge of men; and on the appearance of the sign… I should arise and prepare myself and slay my enemies with their own weapons.”

Then, in February, 1831, there was an eclipse of the sun. Turner took this to be the sign he had been promised and confided his plan to the four men he trusted the most, Henry, Hark, Nelson, and Sam. They decided to hold the insurrection on the 4th of July and began planning a strategy. However, they had to postpone action because Turner became ill.

On August 13, there was an atmospheric disturbance in which the sun appeared bluish-green. This was the final sign, and a week later, on August 21, Turner and six of his men met in the woods to eat a dinner and make their plans. At 2:00 that morning, they set out to the Travis household, where they killed the entire family as they lay sleeping. They continued on, from house to house, killing all of the white people they encountered. Turner’s force eventually consisted of more than 40 slaves, most on horseback.

By about mid-day on August 22, Turner decided to march toward Jerusalem, the closest town. By then word of the rebellion had gotten out to the whites; confronted by a group of militia, the rebels scattered, and Turner’s force became disorganized. After spending the night near some slave cabins, Turner and his men attempted to attack another house, but were repulsed. Several of the rebels were captured. The remaining force then met the state and federal troops in final skirmish, in which one slave was killed and many escaped, including Turner. In the end, the rebels had stabbed, shot and clubbed at least 55 white people to death.

Nat Turner hid in several different places near the Travis farm, but on October 30 was discovered and captured. His “Confession,” dictated to physician Thomas R. Gray, was taken while he was imprisoned in the County Jail. On November 5, Nat Turner was tried in the Southampton County Court and sentenced to execution. He was hanged, and then skinned, on November 11.  —- {From African-Americans on Nat Turner}

Nat Turner, my forefather, will be my guiding Spiritual force when the universe makes its long-awaited shift and Africans are finally awakened to their rightful place on Earth.

About these ads

31 thoughts on “Dreams of My Father

1. Inspiring …

2. blackmystory on said:

Ashe!

3. larissa on said:

”Africans are finally awakened to their rightful place on Earth”
    Do you think you will live to see this?

4. @Negress

Whenever folk think of black resistance during slavery, they automatically think of thee Nat Turner. Nat Turner has been a great influence upon my psyche as a blackman. Blackmen should be fearless and unapologetically black at all times…Nat Turner Reincarnated!

Ty

5. @ Sister Truth
    Great upload sis. I can see you’re really channeling the ancestors. Nat was one of our greatest heroes. he wasn’t about talking,he was about DOING. You have to admire that. Of course here in Amerikkka you will never see a big motion picture about him. It might give the colored folk the wrong idea.lol But here’s a short film you might enjoy. Consider this my early Kwanzaa gift to you. :)

6. Ok. Later on tonight I’ll watch and get back to you.

7. Tyrone

Nat Tuner is my inspiration too…in more ways than one.

8. darqbeauty on said:

The link isn’t working for me, wish I could see it! You post some great links on the daily, brother.

9. @darqbeauty I think Youtube must have disabled it. It’s really upsetting because I wanted Sis Truth to see it. Youtube has been disabling it a lot lately. Here’s a different video you and Sister Truth might like though. Hopefully you can see it. Also I like a lot of your comments also. You’re a very intelligent sista.

@Kushite, Thanks for the video. That was great. Would have like to see the one that was disabled.

11. Glad you liked it Queen.:)

12. You are such a beautiful Sister! Your husband is a fortunate man. Such a strong, intelligent and guided Sister as you must make great company.

Thank you for your research. :)

13. Jared Wolf on said:

Slavery exists still today. Problem is, it is such a vague concept that many oppressed people don’t even know they are enslaved. If Nat Turner was alive today, he would be condemned by the very people he would be trying to liberate.

I often hear, “Why didn’t African slaves defend themselves; why didn’t they revolt?” Such ignorant questions are only asked by people that don’t understand oppression.

We need the spirit of Nat Turner right now in America. White folks are only becoming more emboldened in their perceived supremacy.

14. *awe*

WOW! Thank you Your Highness. What a great honour.

15. Jared

That’s why the revolution will be sooner than we think.

16. Prince thanks for the upload. YouTube, in their supremacist glory, took it down but the other video worked great.

17. I’m glad you liked it. I sent you the original video through email.

18. OK. I’ll look at it when I get a chance.

19. Jared Wolf on said:

Unfortunately I was one of those fools who thought it had come with the “ascension of Barack Obama to the throne.” Little did I know that his Presidency would only make the ugliness of the white people more apparent. It was buried in their hearts before, but now they wear their fear and hate proudly like a badge of honor. Four years ago, I had no idea that at least 90% of my white “friends and family” had such bigotry inside them. My mom had “Black envy” and would always make comments here and there “Don’t they have such beautiful skin.” I grew up loathing my skin pigmentation having a feeling there was an inherent inferiority in my biology. It wasn’t until I heard a reference to something called melanin that I explored that feeling and in studying about it discovered the basic chemistry, and the science that presents us with the undeniable fact of African superiority. The more I learned about these things the more I realized that I had known them all along. But if not Barack Obama with all his charisma and charm…and Al Sharpton being the sell out he is…who will be the next Nat Turner?

I like how you use the word “Revolution,” because you can’t subtly infiltrate the
    American white powers. It’s got to be a bold fearless leader like Nat Turner who doesn’t play politics but calls bullshit when he/she sees it, and takes unconventional actions to turn the system upside down on it’s head. I just hope I live, or even die, to see it happen.

20. Jared

This election brought out the hidden demons in white people. Funny how when they get angry, the first thing they scream is NIGGER!!!!

It’s like it’s hardwired into their brains.

The time is quickly approaching now and they feel it too. I no longer have white company. I can’t stomach it but it too was fooled in my younger days.

21. Jared Wolf on said:

@diaryofanegress,

That word was a word you just weren’t allowed to use, once upon a time. It was an unwritten rule among whites. I had actually never heard anyone say that word before, (besides historical movies) until Obama, and now I hear it ALL THE TIME. I was raised a prude, and never said even the F word, but my dad tells me one day there is a word worse than the F word, which was beyond my imagination as a kid. And he says it’s “the n word” and spells it out, tells me the history of the word.

I know you don’t like being around whites. I wouldn’t want to either, and I don’t associate with socially unconscious whites myself. But your blog reminds me of a scene in the movie “Malcom X” with Denzel Washington ( who plays Malcom). And in the middle of the height of his movement, he is walking into a building and a blonde haired blue eyed white girl walks with him for a bit and tell him how much she admires what he’s doing and asks if there is any way she can help or assist him in his activism. He very bluntly and without hesitation says “No, you can’t” and turns and walks away. It was a powerful scene.

If you don’t know already, I have white skin. Maybe my German last name gave it away, I don’t know. I understand that there are African Sun People and the Ice people, and that unfortunately I am of the latter group. But what if I hate my ancestry and am ashamed of my skin color and all the horrific atrocities people of my ancestry have committed? What if I feel the generational curse on me every single day, and want to free MYSELF from the bondage of being associated with the slimy, greedy people that look like me? What if during the revolution I wanted to take up arms with you and fight for your liberation. If I had to choose a side, I would not fight with the Ice people. I would be honored to fight for the Sun People, the superior race, even knowing that I would not benefit in anyway from a victory. But Africans would not accept me. Being around you, I would be blessed and enlightened. But you would be sick being around me. And I would feel the same way if I were you…I suppose that is my reward for the generations of abuse, that I don’t get to associate with intelligent people, but have to be tormented by the lying scum bags I’m surrounded with every day.

I guess that is the divine justice of it all. 400 years of us whites raping and murdering your people. My punishment is living with the guilt, the blood on my hands, the shame, the constant reminder when I look in the mirror that I am one of the bad guys, and no amount of skin graphs or plastic surgery can ever make me one of the good guys. No matter how much I may beg for mercy, I can never be a part of the family. It makes sense, because my race didn’t show yours any mercy while yours was begging.

You can stop me from being your friend, but I hope you won’t stop me from being your fan. Best blog on the internet as far as I can find. You don’t get this information on the tel-lie-vision, so thank you for doing what you do.

22. Nat Turner still died in the end. If you want an example of a slave rebellion look up the Haitian Revolution. black people over praise turner just because he killed a bunch of white people.

23. John

Interesting comments.

I think Denmark Vesey is an interesting black hero.

25. Jay in the Black Dimension on said:

The Haitian Revolution was an incredible victory for Black people no doubt. But the Black people in Haiti at the time were the VAST majority of the population. Nat Turner was a Black man in the Old South where Blacks a minority of the population. What he did was impressive. Black people do not over praise Nat Turner.

26. blackmystory on said:

@Jay your interpretation of ourstory lacks a certain dimension that is insulting. Which other enslaved African in the South did what Nat did? Would you say we over praise sister Harriet too? toussaint sold out the Haitian revolution by kissing up to the very same people he defeated that’s why he was captured and put in jail. The Haitian supported America in securing Louisiana from the French then the Americans turned around and sided with the French to sanction Haiti, that they are still felling today. Should we diminish the revolution because of this. Please give Nat is turn. If you don’t want to don’t tell others not to, because he did something at the time many of us today still won’t do.

27. Jay in the Black Dimension on said:

@Blackmystory

I was replying to John. He said Black people “over praise” Nat Turner. I disagreed with him. I don’t think Nat Turner gets enough praise and credit for what he accomplished. I was making the point that what Nat did was just as impressive as what the Haitians did in their revolution because Blacks in America were a numerical minority and Black Haitians were the majority. I don’t understand what your beef is.

28. blackmystory on said:

@jay, my bad African I mistook that statement as coming from you.

29. Everyone dies in the end . . ..

30. ynotme on said:

Negress,

We need more people like Nat Turner and Denmark Vesey TODAY, but I have a feeling that this is what white folks want, and are preparing for…They are looking for a justifiable reason to start a race war against us because they know that we are militarily out-numbered, un-prepared and disorganized.

ALL COMMENTS ARE CLOSED

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 527 other followers